Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, posting about the 89 zx750 again, hopefully this will be the last time. The bike recently started making a bad ticking noise when it's running. It gets worse as the rpm's increase. It sounds like it's coming from top end somewhere. possible the valve train or the cams. It never made this noise before, what happened? The bike still performs great though. Any thoughts? Maybe i need a valve adjustment or something?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
+1 Valve adj

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Check the reed valve hoses too if you still have all the kleen air stuff.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Then you're left with valve train. Chain loose or valve lash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After further inspection of the head and cams, I found that my exhaust cam wasn't exactly centered anymore. It moved over to the left somehow. I found small metal shavings near the valve tappets. It appears that the cam guide on the bearing cap was a little bit bent to the left. How is that possible? How could it just bend like that all of a sudden? Could it have been from running the bike too hard or it getting too hot? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
After further inspection of the head and cams, I found that my exhaust cam wasn't exactly centered anymore. It moved over to the left somehow. I found small metal shavings near the valve tappets. It appears that the cam guide on the bearing cap was a little bit bent to the left. How is that possible? How could it just bend like that all of a sudden? Could it have been from running the bike too hard or it getting too hot? Any thoughts?
:banghead:banghead possible abuse from previous owner(s)??

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Regardless it sounds like you're gonna need a head. I've got one in good shape. With the cam caps, and all bolts.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Let me dig it out of storage and clean it up a little, make sure I have all the bolts for the caps. Now I have two heads. One for a 90 (H2) and one for an 89 (H1) The 90 has larger intake ports for larger 38mm cvk's. Either head $150 + shipping.
Also do you need the cams too? With cams $200+shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts