Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have been doing some reading and have come across some grey wire issues linked to the ignition. I have nothing to lose to try this business, so any information you can get me on it would be great.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,578 Posts
92ninjas the coils interchange all the way from 89-03 so it's all good. I have a few spares if you need them. Yeah my CDI/Ignitor decided to get hot and drop two cylinders. So I swapped it out. Only choice I had was for a 92 zx600c. Works great just have to watch my RPM's as the 600 has a 14k limit and the 7's have a 12k limit.
+1 cdi/ignitor is another possibility:banghead. I have a guy down here in belleview that is parting out a 92 zx7 and everything is there as far as electrical is concerned. idk what he wants for the ignitor, coils, etc.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Our H models don't have the grey wire issue like the newer ones do. My money is on the CDI.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
He's cleaned the shit out of the carbs right? Then look to other means.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
He's cleaned the shit out of the carbs right? Then look to other means.
Clean carbs wont fix carbs that aren't synced though. I bought coils for my bike thinking one of them went bad but my error was poor a/f ratio and my carbs being unsynced

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I did, I cleaned the shit out of those carbs, however I did not do any syncing of them besides the mechanical sync which I know for a fact I got super close. I can go over them again but they haven't really been run all that much in the last couple years so I am just trying to run them as much as I can.

I would like to know more about this cdi/igniter business because my service manual only mentions the IC Igniter which is just the box. I did check a few of the terminals with the corresponding chart in my book but I wasn't sure if my numbers were off because of my meter or the box. I will have to check much more closely.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Heres how to tell if its fuel related. Get the bike to start then rev it. If it revs on all 4 then its not ignition. if you were closer I would help ya out as I know these bikes pretty well.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Starting fluid! :crazyloco

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Still having issues?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I haven't had the chance to mess with the old girl yet. After Thanksgiving I am going to put in some serious time and figure out what is definitely going on.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Well if you are still dead set of the coils being bad, PM your address and I'll ship you some. $40 per coil plus shipping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK, I checked the coils and they are fine. Then I tried the starting fluid in the carb and got nothing. So I'm back to electrical. Checked the igniter box, the one with the two plugs, and the the results were not good. So it looks like I need a new igniter box. Anybody have a working one around they want to part with?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I can get you one for $60+shipping. It's for a 92 zx600c though. It works fine just have to watch your redline as it will be 14k instead of 12.5k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Is there a interchange list somewhere of all the other model boxes that will work with my bike and possibly part numbers because there are a couple bike scrap yards around me I could definitely check out. Or should I just make sure it's a kawi box and my plugs will work?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Ok sounds good. Let me check to make sure I still have it before I say for sure.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts