Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few fixes later, my bike is having more and more problems.

At first the issue was kinda mild:

Sometimes when accelerating (and downshifting), the engine would suddenly die, tach will fall to zero, and then the bike will suddenly come back to life.

The rest of the electronics stay on when this happens... any ideas on what I might be dealing with? I checked the battery for loose connections, as well as the wiring. Could it be my grounds?

But, on my way home from work today, the same thing started happening, only the bike wouldn't start up again. It sounds as if the engine is still on, and as the clutch is engaged, the engine dies.

After letting it sit for a few minutes, the engine would start right back up and drive for a little while... then die again. I literally pushed my bike most of the way back home.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? At first it would only happen when the bike was close to wide open (throttle). Now it seems to happen whenever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump!

Anyone have any insight? I thought it might be my tank vent... but i made sure it wasn't blocked... Does this sound like a fuel supply issue?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Starting to sound like either dirty carbs or bad wiring somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I figured that I'd trace all the wiring and see if anything was wrong... I did find a wire that was only holding on by a single copper wire. Fixed it all up and took it for a test drive.... same problem. Tested all voltages, on, revving, and off, all good. Checked all grounds, good. Checked everything for corrosion... all good.

I've also checked/replaced the following:

replaced starter solenoid
fuel filter
fuel hoses
tank vent tubing

I'm beginning to think that its gotta be something to do with my fuel supply? Once the bike dies it never starts right back up... I have to wait a couple minutes and it fires right up. I really didn't wanna pull and clean the carbs, but I guess we'll try that next. Any insight would be killer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm starting to be very frustrated with this problem! I've now done all of the following:

replaced starter solenoid
fuel filter
fuel hoses
tank vent tubing
Cleaned carbs
cleaned air filter

Still stalling randomly at speed.

Anyone have any insight!? Should I change my spark plugs and see if that helps!? I'm running out of ideas!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Why would you replace anything in the fuel lines when it is so easy to check that they are functioning?

Shouldn't just start throwing parts at a problem. Cleaning stuff is one thing, replacing stuff that doesn't need to be is just a waste of cash.

And why would the starter solenoid have any effect on the bike stalling? It won't, only restarting it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally the only problem the bike had was sometimes it wouldn't start when warm. When checking the voltage at the starter solenoid, it was low (I don't remember off hand what the voltages were). It solved that problem, and then a few weeks later it started stalling while riding.

I guess the hose was unnecessary, but I figured a couple bucks for a fuel filter was hopefully an easy fix... it wasn't.

Any insight on what my problem could be?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts