Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this in the other section, but thought it might be better suited here.

hey guys, just picked up an 89 zx10 for $700 so of course it needs some work,lol.

My first question and problem is the gas and temp guages do not function at all, any idea on where to begin first, i do know that the fan does turn on but im scared that may overheat and i wouldnt know it, and any advice on how in
the world do i get that factory airbox to go back on correctly it seems impossible!!!

also do the 88-90 zx750 parts interchange with my bike like the chaingaurd, its missing that as well.

also ive been reading that the newer 600 and 636 will smoke this bike, is that just straight line accelleration, my bike has almost 140 hp and is 364 cc bigger, has technology really gotten that good, lol

thanks
brian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes technology has gotten that good. Those 636's have 136hp and rev a lot longer.
my only suggestion with the electrical is to follow the wires back
Your airbox boots are probably bad or there is something blocking the airboxes ability to seat properly. The airbox has to set on a set of "tangs" (for lack of a better word) and then its strapped in. Are you missing the strap? Are your airbox boot's hard? Is there anything in the way?

This airbox, fyi, is very easy to get in (compared to the earlier model kaws I've worked on anyway).

It sucks that a new 636 can beat our bikes silly, but thats the reality. With the oiling problem in the #3 rod keep that oil clean level up and don't go out trying to race 636's!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, yea the boots are hard to get on they just dont feel snug, and there is no strap just some chickenwire attempting to hold it on, i will try to trace the wire, mainly just care about the temp guage, just dont want it overheating,

thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
If your temp gauge isnt working make sure the the thermostat body is making good metal on metal contact with the frame.I spent 2 summers and a new set of gauges before I figured that one out on my 89.BTW,yes technology has progressed but no current sub 750 bike is going to smoke you unless you are a newer rider.The 600s are putting 100-105 hp to the ground but you should be in the area of 115-120 hp and about 15-20 ft lbs more torque if your bike is in a good state of tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts