Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 89 zx7. I failed to notice the overfull crankcase and after draining 2 quarts of extra oil out noticed a high piched whine coming from the engine. I did a complete valve job praying that it would solve the issue. No dice - engine still whines and so am I. I talked to a local shop about doing the engine overhaul and he stated that I would be better off looking around for a good used motor.

So, the question of the day is... Which motor should I be looking for? ie. 1. Will a zx7r engine fit in the frame? 2. Will an engine out of a newer, say, 91 - 97 model fit (or newer than that for that matter)? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I am totally and completely in love with this bike and want to bring her back to life.

Vance

BTW - I would try to do the overhaul myself but my time is extremely limited right now.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
OK here's a tip on these engines. I too have an 89 H1. The alternators on these are belt driven. Check the tension of the belt. It might be dry and too tight. Also the cam chains are noisy anyway on these. Now if you are dead set on replacing the engine you are stuck with the 89-90 model engines only. the H1 and H2 are basically the same. The H2 makes more power but only cause of the carbs and I think the cams are a little more radical. Good luck finding one though. The alternators are noisy too anyway. Mine whines a little at idle if you can get past the reed valve tubes and the kleen air system. Hope this gives you a few places to start looking.

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 on the alternator belt. Don't be scared off by what the manual says about them needing two torque wrenches to adjust them, I just use a permanent marker to mark where the alternator position is against the engine cases housing, then loosen the hex bolts, and lever the alternator up with a screw driver a bit (the right hand bolts is mounted in a "slot") then re-tighten and test.
The H model is an awesome bike, the best sounding of the ZX range imo.

Just for info regarding differences between H1 and H2 motors, the H2 has the following differences over the H1....
Bigger valves
Longer CrMolly conrods (meaning diff wrist pin position on pistons)
Higher compression ratio pistons
Higher lift and longer duration cams
Bigger carbs (CVK38 vs CVK36 fitted on H1)
Higher capacity airbox (small extenssion above the battery)
Different lubrication system, oil filter being included inside the oil pan as on the original GPX motor (external oil filter on H1 model)
4 into 1 exhaust manifold instead of 4/2/1 fitted on H1 (requieres the oil pan to be different)
Bigger curved coolant radiator

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
So then I should put my H2 motor in the bike then? Hmmmm. You forgot to mention the clutch pushrod is shorter on the H2's and the alternator belt is not as wide also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Had no idea about the push rod being shorter and the alternator belt being more narrow, quite odd that belt system, reminds me of a tractor every time I see it lol. Did you know the H2 swing arm is a whopping 5 kg's lighter?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I would so since it doesnt have all that extra bracing and "fender" material welded to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts