Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry to start another carb question thread but I am in some serious need of some knowledge. I picked up an 89 zx7 pretty cheap because it's not in any sort of nice shape, but I just want it to run, so I cleaned the carbs, replaced all the o-rings because I broke some taking the carbs apart and put them back on. I am familiar with motorcycle carbs, I have a 72 Kawi H1-C 2 stroke 500 cc goodness and have torn into those carbs more times than I can count, but these carbs are just kicking my butt.

I cleaned the carbs and put them back on, the bike will run and will only kinda idle with the choke on, I know the carbs need to be synced but I can't do that until I get it to idle first. The idle adjustment knob that the service manual says should be on there is completely gone, so I tried to adjust the throttle cable to gain some idle but couldn't get that to take any adjustment. So if anyone has any ideas on how to get me some idle adjustment that would be greatly appreciated.

I can get the carbs to actually work properly if I choke them individually with my hand and then it will rev until about 5 or 6 grand where the carbs are really fighting each other but it sounds good until there. Other than that if I try and give it some throttle when its choked it just dies, but if I choke the carbs out by hand they will rev just fine.

So if anyone has any advice they could give me on any of this I would greatly appreciate it. And I really am sorry about starting another carb thread but I need some help. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are a few carb guys on here that really know there stuff. ( IM NOT ONE OF THEM ) . So Im sure you will find the answers you need.
ChristyKitty has an 89 H model as well, and Is quite good with carbs. I would reccomend talking to her as she has been working on her carb issues quite a bit.

Paul

·
Registered
128 Posts
Heyya, I believe this is what your looking for...this photo of a old set of H1 carbs I have. The black cable is the idle adjuster. In the absence of that, I'd just get a little bolt with nut and screw it in the right amount, and lock it with the nut to get it idling at the speed you want, then source a replacement cable for it at a later date.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sugilite, thank you so much for the picture. It is definitely making more sense now as to why it won't idle because I have absolutely no screw there. I will definitely take your advice and make a screw or bolt work somehow.

Also, I was reading that with the 89 H1 you can run it without the fuel pump hooked up, does anyone out there know if this is valid or have you done this yourself? Thanks again for the help this is really getting me excited about getting her running properly.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
You can but once the fuel gets lower than half it might run out of fuel in the top.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No worries, glad to be of help. I did run my bike for a few race meetings having bypassed my dead fuel pump with no issues. However, I do concur with ChristyKitty it is a less than ideal situation. You can get after market ones no problem.

I did about 400 miles on mine yesterday, went through a deep canyon, and wanted to turn around and do it again just to hear the sound reverberating of the walls, these H bikes are intoxicating!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have the fuel pump and it works if I pump it by hand but the contacts and points were completely rusted fast so I do need another set of contacts for it. I found a company out of Great Britian that made some replacement ones but I can't seem to locate their info right now. And do you have any experience with any of the aftermarket parts for the fuel pump that you could recommend? Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will definitely let you know what I find out. The company emailed me back and said they don't know if it will fit of not, so while I am picking up some valve seat o-rings tonight I will see if I can't score some part numbers and do some talking to see if they are all pushing the same pressure and the like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts