Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what advantages there are if i degree my cams? is it worth doing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why?

can anyone tell me what advantages there are if i degree my cams? is it worth doing?
I don't see the point. If you really want to have intense fun, put a 900 sprocket kit(not that it exist) on your bike. Trust me you will not regret it. Make whatever chain changes needed. I own one, trust me you will not be able to hold on. Well, you will,but be ready for more high rev power in the lower RPM's. You may lose slightly on the top, but the pull is to die for. Try it, let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
To answer the original question, the purpose of degreeing the cams is to precisely control the point and timing of valve opening, closing and overlap. Unless you understand what this means and what the implications are for your engine's power curve, you are wasting time to even think about doing it.

Manufacturing tolerances being what they are, valve timing can sometimes be off slightly from the original intended setting. Degreeing the cams can restore this, if you actually know where they are and where they should be. Valve timing and overlap can also be slightly altered, but this is something best left to the pros who are trying to squeeze the last possible lb. ft. of torque out of an engine.

Enjoy your older motorcycle and don't waste time and money trying to make it into something it's not. You'll just end up with a pile of broken parts and an expensive repair bill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a pro did do the job and there is definately an increase in power, seeing that this bike is built like a tank and not like the throw away bikes of today....i will look for any performance upgrades i can for my OLDER motorcycle, thats whats it is all about anyway regardless of old or new.............................as for the 900 sprocket kit, i have gone 1 tooth down in the front and thats about it, what other changes are u refering to with the sprockets and chain, thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts