Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I was thinking up scenarios and was looking for some other rider's thoughts: I have a 99 zx9r with stock front and rear sprockets (530;16/41) and I have a 43-tooth (525 pitch) rear sprocket from a 98zx7r in my garage. If I bought a zx7r 15-tooth front sprocket (525 pitch), would I be able to put it on my 9r along with the 43-tooth rear sprocket without having to purchase a new chain? I'm not concerned about the chain length, just the pitch. Also, would this ******* "525 conversion" even be beneficial? I just figured that this may be a cheap opportunity to re-gear my bike by only having to buy a front sprocket. I'm pretty sure (not positive) that the sprockets from the 7r would fit on the 9r.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Once again I was thinking up scenarios and was looking for some other rider's thoughts: I have a 99 zx9r with stock front and rear sprockets (530;16/41) and I have a 43-tooth (525 pitch) rear sprocket from a 98zx7r in my garage. If I bought a zx7r 15-tooth front sprocket (525 pitch), would I be able to put it on my 9r along with the 43-tooth rear sprocket without having to purchase a new chain? .
No.

I'm not concerned about the chain length, just the pitch. Also, would this ******* "525 conversion" even be beneficial? I just figured that this may be a cheap opportunity to re-gear my bike by only having to buy a front sprocket. I'm pretty sure (not positive) that the sprockets from the 7r would fit on the 9r.[/QUOTE]

The pitch being different is the issue as to why you'd need a new chain. You'd be better off buying the 530 rear sprocket. You won't need both sprockets to see a change in acceleration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts