Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feverishly spending every waking moment these last couple days preparing for my long motorcycle road trip. One of my personal goals has always been to ride my motorcycle on a “four corners run” which is riding to all four points of the United States. My goal is to do this long trip the summer of 2008.

I will not be doing my “four corners run” for another couple summers, but tomorrow I am heading out of Seattle to embark on the longest motorcycle trip that I will have ever done. The goal is to cover 7000 miles within 21 days which should put me back into Seattle by the end of this month.

Preparation for this trip has been a new luggage rack setup on the tail section of my 10R, setting up the mounting for my radar detector, water-proof case for my detector, the mounting of today’s best laser jammer technology, enough clothes to give me 7 changes worth, and anything and everything I may need while out on the road (tire repair kit, tools, etc.).

New tires have been mounted, fresh oil change, and shipments of oil and tires have been mailed out to cities ahead. Maps have been printed, addresses of friends all along the way which should cover me for places to stay the entire way. I expect to fund only food and gas while keeping the entertainment minimal. For me, the entertainment will be the ride itself, enjoying the open road, and taking it all in with my eyes and my digital camera.

I already have near 10,000 miles showing on my 10R’s odometer. It will be due for a valve inspection along the way, but the bike will be taken care of no matter what. I will be relying on it, living on it, and having fun on it.

There are only a few stretches I plan on slabbing the interstate on, but I plan on doing as many back roads as possible. There are a lot of roads on the east side of the Mississippi that I’ve always wanted to hit up. I will only be riding during daylight hours, as the motorcycle will be parked come dusk and not back on the road again until the early morning hours.

The radar detector and laser jammer setup is great. After my trip, I want to take pictures of everything and post up the setup I have going on my 10R. I just want to be prepared for that time I may roll around a corner 10mph over the speed limit, not having to worry about getting any tickets along the way.

So where do I plan on traveling to? Seattle to Spokane to Butte, Montana to the Sturgis Bike Rally in South Dakota. Next up is Minneapolis, then Chicago, then St. Louis and Kansas City. Some time will be spent in Colorado around the Denver area, Albuquerque, then start heading back up north to Boise, Pullman, and back into Washington. I have a long list of back roads that everyone has recommended to me, hope to hit up as much as I can while conserving tire life as I go.

I don’t know how long it will go between times I can check on my email and forums, but I hope to check things every few days to say a few words, post up some pics, and share the experiences along the way.

So yeah, I have to finish up some stuff now and prepare to leave tomorrow morning. Keep me in your prayers that things will go smoothly without any hangups. Ride safe everyone and enjoy the rest of this good weather we are having!

I expect to have 20,000 miles on my 10R by this Christmas and I just got it in May haha

·
Registered
990 Posts
That is one fantastic road trip!!!
Hope it all goes well & wishing you loads of good luck & great weather along the way :thumbup.
I did some long trips when I was younger but nothing as epic as this :respect , though I guess you have the advantage of far more capable machinery :squint

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shortcircuit said:
I did some long trips when I was younger but nothing as epic as this :respect , though I guess you have the advantage of far more capable machinery :squint
yeah but wasnt gas cheaper back in those days haha

·
Registered
990 Posts
It was about 3 gallons to the UK pound back in about 1973.

And the Norton 500 single I took the 1st time I went up to Scotland did about 80 mpg which made the 2,000 round trip quite cheap on fuel!!!

Miles between fuel stops were as long as we liked, the problem was stopping regularly to make sure nothing was falling off & that the oil was staying inside the engine :rolleyes No worries about speeding as the bike was just not fast enough....

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
enjoy brother, I live on my bike and have done and still do big stuff all the time, the best way to see your own homeland.
My only hint is to sleep often and chill out, then you will make it back.
sool

·
Registered
183 Posts
You've got my prayers bra... take care of yourself and your bike and i know everything will turn out fine. Im sure that i speak for everyone when i say good luck and god bless!!! Have fun oh and watch those gravel spots!!! lol

·
registered member
523 Posts
good luck..

and u suck, u should roll into NC.. ill hook ya up with food shower and a nice place to lay ya big ass head!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
that sounds like an awesome trip. it also sounds really similiar to the trip me and a friend of mine who rides a gsx 750 are taking next june. taking 3 weeks off work and traveling the US on our bikes! good luck on your trip!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm so jealous that you have the time to do a trip like that. My new 06 has 4800 kms (2900 miles) on it all summer due to travelling with work, and you're going to blow that away in less than a month.

Ride safe, and keep the shiny side up, and most of all.... Enjoy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beans
First saw this on PNW. This will be an epic summer get away. God’s speed, have fun and post pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts