Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, kinda new, in the process of buying my second kawi ever (i had a kz750 about 14 years ago).

as you can see in my auto-signature, i'm pretty sure i'm going to buy the 636, because i think they are so cool. but there's money back to the dealer on the zx-10, which makes it a better deal.

here's my thoughts on it:

the 636 is more than enough motorcycle and is torquey by 600 standards.

i think 600's are fast, but other than a few disappointing street miles here and there, i haven't ridden a 600 on the street in seven years. though in all fairness, the reason i want the 636, it's the only one that didn't thoroughly disappoint me.

my last open-class bike was an 01 gsx-r1000, it was fun, but stupid powerful. i haven't ridden the new zx-10, but i rode an '04, and it made the gsx-r feel fat and well behaved.

if i buy the 636, there's always the possibility that i can find stock bodywork for my r6 and race bodywork for the 636 and well, you know the future of the 636. this sounds like a positive, but it's probably a negative.

anyone want to confuse the issue more?

anyone want to buy my monster s4-r? ducati 996-powered?

·
Registered
79 Posts
R6Tony
If you are asking which would be the better buy I can’t really tell you. I will give you my own personal opinion. At 5’4” and 150 I tend to go for smaller machines. I have used liter class bikes in the past and even through they are comfortably and competent on the open road and long distant trips, I find bigger bikes heavy in town and on the daily commute. The fact that today’s 600 class can perform as well as or better then the open class of five or ten years ago is well know. The popularity of the 600 class also means a bigger selection of after market parts. For me the reality is that I no longer ride on the track and have no need to go 160 MPH or more. I want a good bike for day to day use and I feel that is found in the 600 class. This is my .02 cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R6Tony
If you are asking which would be the better buy I can’t really tell you.
actually, the 10's the better buy (what i'll pay vs. what it's worth, the dealership i used to work at is giving the bike at invoice, less rebates, and there's a rebate on the 10). but i think i'd prefer the 636 at this point.

i guess my big concern is this, i've been riding a twin for almost three seasons and i'm hoping that the lack of torque isn't going to be a big issue if i get a 636.

anyone here step down in displacement?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the very same quandry in February 2005. I coulda gone either way but my final decision (since I could only afford 1 bike) was to go with the ZX6R. My reasoning was better track day bike, little extra cash left over for modification, better tire mileage, I could convert it and race it should I drop it hard...

The ZX10 was just too much of a good thing. If I raced it in would be overkill on my regions tracks and only good for 2 classes if I didn't want to race against the experts. It woulda gone thru a rear tire every month and a half ($$) and for the street it was serious overkill.

12,000 miles and 4 track days later I still love the 636. It goes everybit as well everywhere. Yeah I would love to feel the ZX10's power but I wouldn't ride it any faster than my 6 so what's the point?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having had both (05 636) and a 06 10,

firstly I can tell you that the new 10 is just as big as a 636 I doubt you will notice a size diff except power

Secondly. Tracks that will max out a 636 are few and far between so it's just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Having put in a few laps on an '04 10R I can say that it was enjoyable. The track I rode it on is a fast one though. I have ridden an '06 10R on the street and it is no where near as violent a bike to ride as the '04. It has as much power but the midrange seemed filled in and that led to smother acceleration.

i am one of the few that believes in liter bikes for sport riding. I like to use the point and shoot style and keep the corner speed down to minimize risk. On the track its all about corner speed.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have to agree with Apex.

Size wise you're not going to notice a difference. Both bikes are pretty close, and I would even stand to say that the seat height is a little higher on an 05-6R than on an 06-10R.

As far as weight, again, minimal differences.

Torque and speed.... I haven't ridden an 05-10, but one of the guys I ride with owned one, and then he took out my 06-10. Stated that the bike was much more controllable and comfortable. The 04/05 was just evil. The 06 is evil controlled.

At 6'6" and 230 lbs, I can tell you that the 10R is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, long or short trips. Hours in the saddle yield no pain, other than the usual stiff knee that needs to be stretched out.

Power is amazing, and smooth. Rolling on the front end lifts effortlessly and smoothly.... stay on the throttle and it snaps up hard.

Highway riding.... 6th gear roll ons will allow you to pass anything comfortably without dropping a gear.

If you can get the 10R for a better price than the 636, and insurance isn't going to kill you for the extra 364cc's .... I would say Get The 10.

You won't be disappointed, and parts are becoming more readily available for it everyday. Especially with the onset of the 07, which is the same as the 06, with a few minor body changes, and all appear to be colour only.

IMPO you'll be happier with the 10, but don't take my word for it. See if there is anywhere you can take both out for a ride and then decide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input, i'm picking my 636 on saturday.

if the 10 was cheaper, i would have bought the 10. it was a better deal at $9300 vs $7600 for the 636.

i'm old, so insurance isn't that bad on either one.

i picked the 636 because i started thinking about kind of fun i was havig with my gsx-r1000 and didn't want to go back down that road (much).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd say "Keep the shiny side up", but on a new bike everything is shiny... and that has only caused confusion and problems in the past.

So... "Keep the rubber side down". Tires that is. Not the handlebar grips.... just to clarify.

Enjoy the ride. I'm sure you will.:runaway

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd say "Keep the shiny side up", but on a new bike everything is shiny... and that has only caused confusion and problems in the past.

So... "Keep the rubber side down". Tires that is. Not the handlebar grips.... just to clarify.

Enjoy the ride. I'm sure you will.:runaway
i knew what you meant. :)

thanks all, i'm looking forward to this bike. i'm truly excited about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts