Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum members,

I realize that this is not exactly a ZX-6r but I tried posting this post on another website to find that the ZX-6r section was almost deserted. Hopefully someone here will share their opinion or experience. Here is my original post:

I have been searching around for a used 650r or ZX-6r and I have come across a 2006 636 for sale. I went over and looked at the bike tonight and it's a great-looking bike. It barely has over 4,000 miles on it and I didn't notice any cosmetic damage.

But, the owner is asking 5300 dollars for it, while in excellent condition the KBB value is $4455.

Now I do realize that the bike has VERY low mileage, actually less than my 2011 650r did before it was totaled.

I thought asking some of you 600 guys would maybe give me a little more insight. Is it worth it to pay a little extra, or should I stand firm?

Also, I was thinking that perhaps I could bridge the amount between the KBB and the owner's price, if I should even be willing to pay more.

Hoping for some experience or advice, thanks.

· Premium Member
3,168 Posts
I would have to say, it all comes down to your area.
I see 03-06 636's on craigslist going for 38 - 4700.
4k is next to nothing for miles at all......I paid 4500 for my 05 a couple years ago and I'm pushing 18k for miles. No problems as of yet.
Guess it comes down to what are you willing to pay. Offer 4700, and go from there.

Good luck with your choice

Aslo: Welcome to the forum :thumbup

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have to say, it all comes down to your area.
I see 03-06 636's on craigslist going for 38 - 4700.
4k is next to nothing for miles at all......I paid 4500 for my 05 a couple years ago and I'm pushing 18k for miles. No problems as of yet.
Guess it comes down to what are you willing to pay. Offer 4700, and go from there.

Good luck with your choice

Aslo: Welcome to the forum :thumbup

Hi Linteau thank you for your reply.

I didn't want to come across as a stick in the mud and tell the seller no, but I also didn't want to overpay too much.

I was thinking of offering 4900-- this is a perfect gap between the book value and his price.

It's definitely a beautiful motorcycle. I had a new 650r but had a dreaded SUV left hand turn in front of me and hit me head-on. Frame damaged and totaled estimate =\

Of course now I'm in the market for another and that more aggressive posture doesn't seem as intimidating anymore...

Once more thank you for your advice!

· Registered
319 Posts
I got my 636 this summer. Got a great deal. I'd give him 5k for it for sure. Specially of he is original owner and has taken cre of it. Great bike! Little more pull than the other 600's. Plenty of aftermarket parts avail and it is just a blast on the street! Do the jumper mod on it and you'll love having it. Great cond the 05-06 636 is the last year the 636 was made. And you can deff tell the diff in the extra 36 cc's! I think it's the best looking zx6r out there! But that's my opinion. The 650 is slightly less aggressive and I feel it's closer to a sport touring bike than a supersport.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got my 636 this summer. Got a great deal. I'd give him 5k for it for sure. Specially of he is original owner and has taken cre of it. Great bike! Little more pull than the other 600's. Plenty of aftermarket parts avail and it is just a blast on the street! Do the jumper mod on it and you'll love having it. Great cond the 05-06 636 is the last year the 636 was made. And you can deff tell the diff in the extra 36 cc's! I think it's the best looking zx6r out there! But that's my opinion. The 650 is slightly less aggressive and I feel it's closer to a sport touring bike than a supersport.

Hi Covett,

Thanks for the message. All of those things are very nice to hear and I'm happy that you enjoy your bike! I know very little about supersports and even less about 636s, but I felt compelled to give the bike a chance and checked it out and thought that it was sweet. I just hope that I don't run into any major maintenance problems in the not too far future.

The seller and his wife told me that another woman owned it before them, but that she barely ever road it because it scared her lol. So they'd take it in once a year or so and get it serviced and that's about it haha.

Hearing from you guys here on the site definitely makes me feel more confident about the purchase.

Thanks!

· Registered
887 Posts
bluebook value for a 06 636C and 636D is $4,455 in AL in excellent condition - clean title, no scratches, low miles

i would never pay more than bluebook value, tell the seller what the bluebook value is and make that offer.

If you plan to insure your bike full coverage and you drop your bike the very same day you buy it, at least set youself up so insurance will give you what you paid for.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bluebook value for a 06 636C and 636D is $4,455 in AL in excellent condition - clean title, no scratches, low miles

i would never pay more than bluebook value, tell the seller what the bluebook value is and make that offer.

If you plan to insure your bike full coverage and you drop your bike the very same day you buy it, at least set youself up so insurance will give you what you paid for.

Yeah 4455 that's what I read as well.

The seller did mention that he knew it was priced higher than the book value, but I didn't argue too much on the price since I was just looking at it at that time. Now however, it's going to have to be brought up. I may cave in a little at around 47 to 4800, but I don't think that I can go any higher than that, if I do budge at all.

This couple has FIVE kawis: a zx10r, zx6r, 636, and two 650s. I know they are trying to sale one or two of them but I don't know how easy that will be for them if they ask for more than $700 high on the blue book values. =\

I am really interested and want to compromise but like you said, do I really want to lose money? Definitely lost money buying my first bike from the lot.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the bike stock? i would say 4800 is reasonable if it has a few mods, exhuast, fender eliminator, etc.
I think that it is stock, other than maybe a fender eliminator. I will go back over and inspect it furthermore. They are okay with me test riding it since I told them I'd pay for anything should I do some damage:headscratch

I think 4800 will be my shut off price. After that, I can't pay any more. I think it's fair and hopefully they'll be willing to accept that. If not, hey there are a lot more bikes out there for sale.

· Registered
519 Posts
money talks bullshit walks, go there with 4800 cash and offer start low and when you get to 4800 and he still wount go for it, start to walk. I did the same thing. Started to walk away, the guy changed his mind real quick.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
money talks bullshit walks, go there with 4800 cash and offer start low and when you get to 4800 and he still wount go for it, start to walk. I did the same thing. Started to walk away, the guy changed his mind real quick.
Yeah that's the best plan. I'll probably ask for a test drive... if I like it, I'll begin talking about money, or vice versa.

Thanks for your opinions!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on that 636:

No upgrades, not even a fender eliminator. So stock bike for $5300, whereas for the region the book value is $4550.

I compromised for the dealer and recommended $4800 which they still declined.

And so I walked. :runaway

· Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Thats to bad man........would of been a sweet bike. 5300 is just too much though, IMO.

Keep your eye out, there is plenty of them out there :thumbup

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats to bad man........would of been a sweet bike. 5300 is just too much though, IMO.

Keep your eye out, there is plenty of them out there :thumbup

Yeah I know :( But I'm keeping my eyes open. I looked at another 650 ninja tonight, test drove it at low speeds and felt that something was definitely wrong with the steering. So another loss! But at least it wasn't a loss that I paid for ;)

Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to look at a gsxr600.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Hi forum members,

I realize that this is not exactly a ZX-6r but I tried posting this post on [/I]
AFAIK a 636 IS a ZX-6R is it not?
They just had that 636 displacement for a couple years.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AFAIK a 636 IS a ZX-6R is it not?
They just had that 636 displacement for a couple years.
Yeah haha. I didn't know anything about 636s when I originally posted this thread (shows green-ness). Read up on them and as you said, it IS a ZX6r but just more displacement.

i just bought my 06 636 zx6r for 5300, with 8500 miles on it. bike is in prestine condition, has a two bros dual on it, fender eliminator, and speedscreens windscreen.

But you see, as someone else mentioned, that isn't a bad deal because you have some nice upgrades with it. I would have been more receptive to that price if anything was included, but there wasn't anything.

Either way I hope you really enjoy it! I'm really missing not having a motorcycle. But I don't want to be too impulsive!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.