Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
55 watts is 55 watts.

If your OEM bulbs are 55-65w as many of them are, you are fine.

· Registered
319 Posts
Lol 55w is 55w... Looking for amp ratings please read.
Most 55w ballast pull max 10.5 amps and run around 6-7amps. Watts and amps are huge difference masta. As far as running on stock wiring goes.. Well as long as its not super thin should be ok. Fuse will have to be upgraded but if ur going way higher then you will need to wire it up differently.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wattage is volts x amps. The problem is for the 55w they don't tell you if that's at 12v, 12.6, 13.5 or what. The only time I have read people needed to upgrade from the 10amp is when firing both at the same time. Also I cannot find what the factory wire gauge size is. Just looking for some definite answers. I would feel better about putting a 15amp fuse in if I knew what the gauge wire was.

Does anyone know if DDM's relay harness is plug and play?

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Lol 55w is 55w... Looking for amp ratings please read.
Most 55w ballast pull max 10.5 amps and run around 6-7amps. Watts and amps are huge difference masta. As far as running on stock wiring goes.. Well as long as its not super thin should be ok. Fuse will have to be upgraded but if ur going way higher then you will need to wire it up differently.
I know full well what wattage is and that hids have higher startup wattage.

A 55w hid should be drawing - wait for it......

55 watts. Divide 55 by... lets say 13v, and thats how many amps it draws. And BTW, 12 awg wire can handle up to 60 amps DC in 12v applications. Note I said up to. In practice Maybe 40a.

If you have 12-14 gauge wire, you should be fine.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Just read on DDM's site ALL kits are capped at 6amps firing amperage. But that's all it says.
You should be fine if thats the case. 55w at 13v is like 4.2xxx amps. Way under what the harness should handle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.