Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up guys ? What do you knowledgeable guys think I got a 07zx6r and my low end torque sucks so im gonna put a sprocket on, but my buddy says I should go with a bigger chain because they are stronger. But then I had thought they wouldnt be putting these 520 on if they werent strong enough. So I wondering if I should listen to my buddy and go wtih the 530,525 or just stick to what I have. Let me know what you all think thanks:crazyloco :rofl

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would go 520 conversion with -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. 520 will hold up just fine

·
Registered
49 Posts
the chains that size for a reason. You will lose rear wheel H/P if you go up a size.

·
Registered
532 Posts
the chains that size for a reason. You will lose rear wheel H/P if you go up a size.
The chain has very little to do with rear wheel hp. By going -1,+2 you will in effect get more hp(torque) on the rear wheel and get better pull. It MIGHT affect yor top end slightly.

·
Banned
528 Posts
-1 +2 is a great street / strip gearing, u will loose alittle up top but u will gain it back down low

·
Registered
45 Posts
The chain has very little to do with rear wheel hp. By going -1,+2 you will in effect get more hp(torque) on the rear wheel and get better pull. It MIGHT affect yor top end slightly.
I think he is talking about loss due to added mass and friction.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A 520 chain is fine for a 600. That's why it comes with one from the factory. Or at least my '07 did. I originally thought it was a 525 but it's a 520.

·
Banned
528 Posts
all 03-07 zx6r's and all the zx6rr's came stock with a 520 chain

·
Registered
103 Posts
You will lose top end with a -1/+2 but do you really need to go above like 160mph? -1/+2 will make the bike feel so much better. That with a full exhaust, pc3, air filter, and jumper mod and your bike keeps up pretty decent with liter bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well.. by replacing the sprockets, you will increase the torque. The 520 comes standard with the bike but are designed for the standard sprockets. You need to figure out if your chain is strong enough for the new torque you will have. I would bet that the 520 will do just fine with the new torque... I think many people change the sprockets and use the same chain without problem. It will only affect your chain longevity a little bit.

If you really want to play it safe, you can calculate if you need a bigger chain. Each chain must have a maximum torque value. If you know your current maximum torque and sprocket ratio (rear sprocket #teeth/front sprocket #teeth) just divide your actual torque output by your old sprocket ratio and multiply by your new sprocket ratio) Then ,if you're not too confused at this point (because I am hehe), you compare the torque that you calculated there with the torque your chain is rated for (that should be really easy to find from the chain manufacturer if not from the dealer)

or just go 530 :) The friction, or weight caused by the bigger chain is not significantly impact your performance.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much:headscratch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts