Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, and I was hoping to get some good advice. I've got a 99 zx9r and 3rd gear is gone, for lack of a better word. I know its a common problem for the 98-99 models, so I was wondering what the best way to go about fixing it is. I'm decent with a wrench, but opening up the engine is another story. I heard that you can swap in a tranny from 00, but does anyone know other years that work? OR should I just swap in a new engine? My buddy quoted me around 700 to go in and fix it himself (without me giving him a diff tranny to throw in). If you've got a spare tranny, that would help a lot :D
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've read alot about this, look into a z1000 tranny as apposed to zx9r's
the other option is a space from kawasaki. Essentially it is a washer that goes behind third gear, then you have to take the gear in and have it machined down the width of the washer and put it all back togather. Probably new shift fork and new clips and wala? hopefully it works. I will be trying this in the next couple of weeks. Ill let you know how bad it is.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
700 is a good price.
you can get a tranny for 1 or 2 hundred.
i'd go that route.
I just changed both my gearsets and all three shift forks and it wasn't fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read alot about this, look into a z1000 tranny as apposed to zx9r's
the other option is a space from kawasaki. Essentially it is a washer that goes behind third gear, then you have to take the gear in and have it machined down the width of the washer and put it all back togather. Probably new shift fork and new clips and wala? hopefully it works. I will be trying this in the next couple of weeks. Ill let you know how bad it is.
thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a z1000 tranny, what year fits? any other models that I should look for?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Not sure, I used a 97 tranny in my 96 - same gen bike.
Internet search should yield the results you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a "great working transmission" on ebay for $55, off of a 99 zx9 (my year/model) would it be worth it to pay my buddy the 700 to throw it in for for me? I know its common for the gears to wear out quick on the 98 & 99 models, can I throw in some kind of spacer or something so it doesn't wear; before I crack the case and throw it in?
I found that the 2000 tranny supposedly bolts right in, and the the 03-06 z1000 works too, but does it bold right in or are other parts needed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts