Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im sure a few of you read about the problem i was having even getting my case to split, well last night i got it after i took 3 bolts out i had looked over. Anyways, now i am trying to figure out what the problem is.

let me start with telling you the symptoms of what the bike was doing, if i shifted into second it was ok, as long as i didnt touch the throttle, as soon as id touch the throttle it would slip into first, also if i hit second it would make a grinding noise on me, that only happened once when i accidenty hit secound, i was riding and just skipping second all together. what would make the bike slip out of ONLY second gear?

i have the case split and i see some bad looking wear on one of the forks. but i think this is caused by whatever the problem is, i have inspected the gears and dogs on the tranny and everything seems to look ok as far as the gears and dogs go themselves.

wear on the shift fork

also, im not sure what this it, but if you look closely wear my finger is, it appears to be sheared off.

and just a pic at the tranny not thats its close enough or with enough detail to tell anything, but as i said i inspected everything hear and dont see anything obvious.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If Im not mistaken, and I probably am, the second picture is of the shift pawl... When you lift up or push down on the shift lever this ratchet assembly moves the drum to engage the gears....

and YES, it appears worn off...... does it move the drum assembly when you manually attempt to shift?

·
Registered
562 Posts
well im glad you got them split.......that peg just decides how far the shifter moves.....it looks like a bad connection between gears right when pressure was put on shifter to move gear....it might have jammed and snapped against that peg and broke chipped it

i acually grind down the bottom of that peg(the top... in your picture) about 3/16 to 1/4.....so that it will push second gear into place alittle more....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts