Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 zx6r approaching 3,600 miles. I had my first oil change at 600 miles. I was wondering when I should get my next oil change. I figured every 3,000 miles, but the manual says the next one is at 7,500. When should I change it?

I was also thinking about switching to full synthetic at my next oil change. Is it really much better? And should I switch this oil change or the next?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your 600 mile oil change is the breaking change. The manual is right, your next oil change is at 7,500 (or once a year) the reason you run conventional oil during the break in period is to increase friction. If friction isn't high enough the piston rings won't seat properly and you will have to re-hone your cylinders. At your first oil change however, I would very highly recommend that you switch to a full synthetic for the life of the engine(unless you replace your piston rings at some point). You will experience more power, better fuel economy, smoother shifting and longer overall life of your engine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your 600 mile oil change is the breaking change. The manual is right, your next oil change is at 7,500 (or once a year) the reason you run conventional oil during the break in period is to increase friction. If friction isn't high enough the piston rings won't seat properly and you will have to re-hone your cylinders. At your first oil change however, I would very highly recommend that you switch to a full synthetic for the life of the engine(unless you replace your piston rings at some point). You will experience more power, better fuel economy, smoother shifting and longer overall life of your engine.
boom. hit the nail on the head.

I ran conventional oil until 7500mi, then switched to full syn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run a full synthetic. Recommend switching. I also change my oil every 4K-5K. I run Motul 300V and it looks neon yellow when it is new (think predator blood). Around 4K it starts to look murky through the site glass so I just change it. Figure to often is better than not often enough. I reckon I am a little particular about my green machine. Proper maintenance is the key to keeping any vehicle working great for a long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I'll be switching to full synthetic at 7,500 miles then. Had to go to the shop today to get the voltage regulator replaced because of the recall.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I run Amsoil in mine. After a shit ton of research and dodging their pushy multilevel marketing salesmen I found the actual product to be miles ahead of the other oils.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I run Amsoil in mine. After a shit ton of research and dodging their pushy multilevel marketing salesmen I found the actual product to be miles ahead of the other oils.
ya amsoil is nice, I might switch to that next. They make a supernice filter too. They claim like 10 microns or something?

A lot of guys on my car forum run the euro diesel AMS blends/filters in their cars and the OAs are remarkable. We got a guy running their bypass system filtering down to 2 microns, which is meant for diesel trucks, and his OCI is 15k, a ton of miles for a forced induction motor. It's just verrrrry expensive. It guess for me it doesn't really matter. 12k miles, and I've been riding redline on nearly every single one. the bike hasn't blown up yet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep. 10 microns at 98% efficiency. That's why I have their filter too.
When the time come I plan on switching to their air filter too.
I know they are amazing because Amsoil provides the air filters for the M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank that I operate in the Marine Corps and those things are the shit!
I once weighed the filters and found almost 200 pounds of dirt in the filter elements with the turbine still purring like a kitten and tearing up the training range!
And you never need to replace them. Nor do you need a cleaning kit like with K&N filters. All you do is blow it out with a compressor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep. 10 microns at 98% efficiency. That's why I have their filter too.
When the time come I plan on switching to their air filter too.
I know they are amazing because Amsoil provides the air filters for the M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank that I operate in the Marine Corps and those things are the shit!
I once weighed the filters and found almost 200 pounds of dirt in the filter elements with the turbine still purring like a kitten and tearing up the training range!
And you never need to replace them. Nor do you need a cleaning kit like with K&N filters. All you do is blow it out with a compressor.
get the fuck outta here. thats incredible.

I'll probably do 4000 miles this summer. i wont change my oil, even with the castrol 4t. I might change my oil every 5 years if I run that AMS shit.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
To be fair, that is a big mother fucking air filter(s).

·
Registered
147 Posts
To be fair, that is a big mother fucking air filter(s).
True. Each of the five filters weighs 35 pounds empty but this was still to the point where we were flipping them over and ankle high piles of dirt came out before we started cleaning them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
After scouring the internet I could only find one picture of an Abrams air filter but this gives you an idea of the size. There are five of these working in parallel.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
get the fuck outta here. thats incredible.

I'll probably do 4000 miles this summer. i wont change my oil, even with the castrol 4t. I might change my oil every 5 years if I run that AMS shit.
they say you can double the interval which would be about 15,000 miles.
There are guys here that change amsoil every 1000 miles.:tard

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
ahhhh, I wouldn't go THAT far but amsoil is good stuff. If I could walk into a store here and buy it, I might consider switching from Mobil1 r4t.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ahhhh, I wouldn't go THAT far but amsoil is good stuff. If I could walk into a store here and buy it, I might consider switching from Mobil1 r4t.
One of their multilevel guys lives a mile away from me so I just buy it out of his garage. That's all he has in there is Amsoil stuff. No room for cars or anything. :headscratch

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think i might have to switch to full synthetic at my next oil change.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think i might have to switch to full synthetic at my next oil change.
You should definitely do it. It's worth the extra money.
It's still cheaper to do an oil change your self with Amsoil than to get a conventional oil change at the dealer. :nana

1 - 20 of 22 Posts