Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on ZX gents! I just bought a beautiful 91 zx11c ebony/rose with only 8 thousand miles and a few good perks!! Anyways it's been running like a dream until now! All of a sudden when in second gear if I accelerate it pops and sounds like its going into gear( just the sound it doesn't slip out of second gear) but every other gear is solid and powerful!! What in the world is that? Do I need a new 2nd gear? And not that it matters as to this but the gears have been cut back 1st through 6th! I appreciate any answers thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Very common flaw on all ZX11 (C being worse than D though).
You usually end up needing to replace at least the two gears of 2nd and shifting forks. On my C, I dropped a complete assembled tranny that has been undercutted by "Fast By Gast".
Could also be the way you shift and/or if your shifter is adjusted too high. Since my tranny swap, I alway use the "shifter preload" method and never missed a shift since then (on my repaired C and on my D [current ride]).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate it!! Ya know what's funny the chain was the first thing in my head for whatever reason! I'll check it today first thing!! I do need a new chain anyways!

To the second post did that tranny cost you a lot? Or was it manageable?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Roughly, it was about $700 in parts (including all the seals, gaskets and o-ring) and I did all the labor myself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the chain was a little off but now back to normal and second gear was feeling alright then eventually did it again! Now I feel a little weird rumbling that I know is the chain so now I need a new chain!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it is just the chain slipping but unfortunately it sounds like 2nd gear is toast. Happened to me years ago. Common problem on many sport bikes. I dropped the motor, split the cases and sent the transmission to R&D motorsports down in Florida http://www.r-dmotorsports.com/contactus.htm. Been a while but I remember that they did an inspection on all the gears (may have magnafluxed them), did an undercut on second gear, hardened some of the gears and replaced a few clips and replaced a shifter fork. Don't remember what I paid but in the end I am very happy with the result. The trans still shifts silky smooth after many years - much better than stock. Unfortunately it was a lot of work but learned a lot by ripping it apart and putting it back together myself. While you have it apart you should consider the fix for the #3 main bearing oiling problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts