Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in deciding which model to buy it seamed that the 250 would be a better choice based on the fact that the top speed of both bikes are with in 8mph. mph is a function of horseower. the 250 makes better use of its hp and being 90lbs lighter than the 500.

however there is another factor here which is important to. that being 2up riding. the 250 has soft suspension. the rear is non adjustable which makes it no good for any real 2up riding.

on the 500 you can set ride height useing the preload adjuster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own two 2006 250's the black and the yellow ones.
2UP isn't a problem on them. they will still cruise right along at 65-70 mph with no problem, Can go faster but I don't like to go to fast with a passenger.

As far as the 250's being only 8 miles slower than the 500's. That maybe true in the top end, but the 250 can not match the power of a 500 by the time the 250 reaches top end the 500 will be gone.

Another thing is 250's are just to small an average size man looks gay riding a 250. When you go 2 up on a 250 you look even gayer.

Trust me people arent admiring your bike as you ride by the laughing and giggling at how silly you look. A 500 isn't much better.

The 250's look better than the 500's because of the flame and full fairings but I wouldn't recommend a 250 or 500 to anyone. not brand new at least.

I got mine brand new and after riding for about 500 miles, I never rode them again and moved up. They just dont have the power.

They are best to buy used to learn on because once you've gotten use to it, your not gonna be happy with it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What are you buying this for ----- or who?????? Is it going to be a first bike????
I would go for a 500 myself but that does depend who its for and their experience.

·
Registered
683 Posts
A friend of mine bought an '03 EX250 last summer. He thought it would be a fun nimble bike. It sux. He hates it. He wants to sell it now. If anyone wants it and is around the Chicago area, let me know. But I don't recommend it.
T

·
Registered
63 Posts
in deciding which model to buy it seamed that the 250 would be a better choice based on the fact that the top speed of both bikes are with in 8mph. mph is a function of horseower. the 250 makes better use of its hp and being 90lbs lighter than the 500.

however there is another factor here which is important to. that being 2up riding. the 250 has soft suspension. the rear is non adjustable which makes it no good for any real 2up riding.

on the 500 you can set ride height useing the preload adjuster.
If you're deciding on a 250 based on top speed you're looking at the wrong bike. Also, top speed is much more a function of wind drag than HP.

The 500 shock bolts right up to the 250. The 500 shock has preload adjustment, not ride height.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd go with the 250! that bad boy can save so much gas. I actually miss my 250 at times. My zx-6r always leaves a dent in my wallet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 500 is a better hiway bike the 250 is quicker handling. I love my 250 as a short commuter and utility bike. The 500 has more leg room and some reserve power over 70mph where the 250 begins to go limp. The extra 100lbs is nice on the road but not enough to make any big difference, you have to get up to 500lbs or so to really feel planted. The 250 has a soft suspension unless you opt for the new "08" which is what I would buy if I were in the market right now. Nothing freeway legal can touch the 250 for economy. In my view the 500 simply isn't big enough to make it worth while, but if I only had one and it had to be a 250 or 500 bike I would choose the 500. You will very likely want a bigger bike and the 250 makes a great 2nd ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 500 is a better hiway bike the 250 is quicker handling. I love my 250 as a short commuter and utility bike. The 500 has more leg room and some reserve power over 70mph where the 250 begins to go limp. The extra 100lbs is nice on the road but not enough to make any big difference, you have to get up to 500lbs or so to really feel planted. The 250 has a soft suspension unless you opt for the new "08" which is what I would buy if I were in the market right now. Nothing freeway legal can touch the 250 for economy. In my view the 500 simply isn't big enough to make it worth while, but if I only had one and it had to be a 250 or 500 bike I would choose the 500. You will very likely want a bigger bike and the 250 makes a great 2nd ride.
True for the most part, but I think the 500R has less room than the 250R. Neither has a whole lot of it, but the 500's pegs don't seem to be in a favorable position.

Otherwise, I tend to agree... I've ridden a 250 for over 3 years and have put... I dunno, about 13,000 miles on it. It's been a great bike, it's been a "commuter" for that whole time, and I've never found it lacking. Anyone that thinks they can outride a 250 in a month simply can not. :crackup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another thing is 250's are just to small an average size man looks gay riding a 250. When you go 2 up on a 250 you look even gayer.

Trust me people arent admiring your bike as you ride by the laughing and giggling at how silly you look. A 500 isn't much better.
I find this funny.

Specs for a 2007 EX500:
Overall length 82.5 in.
Overall width 27.6 in.
Overall height 45.7 in.
Seat height 30.5 in.
Wheelbase 56.5 in.

Specs for a 2007 GSX-R1000:
Overall Length: 80.5 in
Overall Width: 28.3 in.
Overall Height: 44.5 in.
Seat Height: 31.9 in.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.

Wow, if a grown man looks "gay" on a Ninja 500R, they must look turbo-gay on the overall shorter, smaller, shorter-wheelbase GSX-R1000! In many measurements, the 500R is a "bigger" bike!

·
Registered
436 Posts
i wouldnt waste time on a 500 or 250. just get a 600 or 750 and ride with the best of them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
so to be the best you must follow the rest is that your statement? i am not saying i am better or worse than the next guy but i had no expirence at all on a bike and started on the 750 i have now. and by best of them i mean the common rider around your area that you will encounter when riding. thanks for your history brief.

·
Registered
8 Posts
so to be the best you must follow the rest is that your statement? i am not saying i am better or worse than the next guy but i had no expirence at all on a bike and started on the 750 i have now. and by best of them i mean the common rider around your area that you will encounter when riding. thanks for your history brief.
Just givin' you some grief, man, don't worry about it. :cheers

I've tend to find in my experiences, though, that riders that take their time and learn good fundamentals on a lighter, more manageable bike tend to be smoother, safer riders. It's odd that probably 90% of people I've met that started on a 600 or 750 stopped riding within probably two seasons...

I started on my 250 because it was cheap, got good mileage, I wasn't going to cry if it tipped over or got binned, and was "enough" for what I wanted to do. Now, I'm looking to track a bike more often, as well as do a bit more "recreational" riding. Thusly, I'm sort of looking at some sportier models to add to my stable.

Folks will always have their own gauges for what they're comfortable with, or what their needs are. It's not to say that a good rider couldn't start on a 600 or 750. Not at all. Just that due to the counter-intuitive nature of motorcycle riding, most seem to do better on a less sensitive and more forgiving one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 08 250 has adjustable suspension for riding 2 up not to mention how damn ugly the 500 is makes it a pretty clean cut choice. If you plan to get something older than an '08 250 forget it they are all ugly as hell IMO

·
Registered
436 Posts
I started on a 750 because i didnt want to get bored of my bike in one season. every one i ride with has 1000's or mod. 600's and i didnt want to only see them at stop lights and parking lots you know. i keep up with all of these guys for the most sake, i have only been riding this bike for 2 months. the style i believe is in the rider not the histroy of his bikes. starting off on a 250 or 500 to me was a waste of money because i can only afford one bike right now so i had to make an easy decision 250...500... or bigger. and i also do not plan to stop in two seasons of riding becasue i am and addict at this shit now. and if or when i drop my 750 i will not cry any more than a 250 being dropped. that shit isnt going to fix my bike and get back on the road. so yeah some people should probably start on 250s or 500s but if they are confident enough and comfortable with bigger i say go for it because i hate it when riders as me to slow down for them to keep up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I find this funny.

Specs for a 2007 EX500:
Overall length 82.5 in.
Overall width 27.6 in.
Overall height 45.7 in.
Seat height 30.5 in.
Wheelbase 56.5 in.

Specs for a 2007 GSX-R1000:
Overall Length: 80.5 in
Overall Width: 28.3 in.
Overall Height: 44.5 in.
Seat Height: 31.9 in.
Wheelbase: 55.7 in.

Wow, if a grown man looks "gay" on a Ninja 500R, they must look turbo-gay on the overall shorter, smaller, shorter-wheelbase GSX-R1000! In many measurements, the 500R is a "bigger" bike!
Way to go green on spotting the details. I own a 2007 650R. It's the same class as the 250 and 500 (EX), and I like it. I have relatively short legs, about 30-32 in pants that are some times too long, and my legs still cramp. If you're looking at a sport bike as a long ride commuter, expect this at least...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I started on a 750 because i didnt want to get bored of my bike in one season. every one i ride with has 1000's or mod. 600's and i didnt want to only see them at stop lights and parking lots you know. i keep up with all of these guys for the most sake, i have only been riding this bike for 2 months. the style i believe is in the rider not the histroy of his bikes. starting off on a 250 or 500 to me was a waste of money because i can only afford one bike right now so i had to make an easy decision 250...500... or bigger. and i also do not plan to stop in two seasons of riding becasue i am and addict at this shit now. and if or when i drop my 750 i will not cry any more than a 250 being dropped. that shit isnt going to fix my bike and get back on the road. so yeah some people should probably start on 250s or 500s but if they are confident enough and comfortable with bigger i say go for it because i hate it when riders as me to slow down for them to keep up.
Well it sounds to me like you won't cry any more than a 250 being dropped...if you have to slow down to ride with someone on a 250, you must be doing 100+, in which case you'll probably be a vegetable or dead when you drop! And by the way, I know a heck of a lot more people who have dropped their 600, 750, or 1ks than any 250! And unless you are a rich person, dropping a $10-$12k bike over a $3-$5k bike hurts a lot more in the wallet too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
it looks like you guys have some opinions.. well what would any of you guys have to say about a 6'7" 18 year old wanting to buy a bike?http://www.zxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/tard.gif
:tard go with the 600-750 range? i have to say, the '08 500 looks homo as hell, even in red. and the 250 would make me look like an ape on a grasshopper.. so lemme know what you guys think i should start out with.

thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts