Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good friend that just purchased a 15.

He needs to lower the front for sure as he is going to install a 55 series rear tire, I had a quick look at it and can see the stock bars wont allow the forks to come up in the tree..
the rear Who knows, I was thinking about cutting off 1/2 - 3/ 4 of a coil.
How does one accomplish this.
also does anyone make different configuration front pegs. And whats up with the factory mirrors.

Thanks in advance.

·
7,179 Posts
The forks can only be raise a little in the triple, maybe 10mm as there is a lip at the top of the bar clamp. If you really want more just have the bar machined to remove the lip as there is more than enough meat on that bar. The rear is not adjustable, and it is a unique shock. The shock is very long because of the preload adjuster and the way it mounts to the frame.

All of this because he wants a 55 tire? Seems easier to stay with the 50 tire. If he is trying to raise the gearing, as this bike desparately needs it, then just go to a 16/39 setup (+1/-2) like most everyone else does. A 55 tire is not enough of a change alone anyway.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And to answer your second question, there are only a couple of us on this board that have a Ninja 1000. There is another board that has more people to ask these kind of questions.

http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/
Thank you Brother, I was hoping you would chime in. My fiend is coming off a ninja 750 and this bike feels a lot different. He wants it to go into a corner easier. I thought a 55 side wall and lower the front should make it feel better, no? He has short legs and cant touch his feet flat on the ground so that is another reason he wants to dump it. I have access to a mill and just recently bored out my GenMars to lower the front of my 14.
Thanks for the link.

·
7,179 Posts
If you add a 55 tire and then lower the rear you will defeat the purpose of trying to improve turn in. I find it odd that he does not feel the bike turns in well. I run a 50 tire on my 2014 Ninja 1000 and have not lowered the front. I take it through some crazy twisty roads near me and, while it is not a 600, it performs quite well. Check the compression damping on the forks as I had to crank mine up a bit to keep the front from diving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.