Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell so I recently purchased a 2015 636 with only 11k miles and have had this problem of the bike bogging down at first it was a intermittent problem and someways it would have full power and some it would start bogging down at 6k rpms and fall on its face at 8k rpms. So I took the fuel pump out and gave it and the tank, fuel filter a good cleaning and out it back together and it ran perfect for about 20 miles then started bogging again and has progressively gotten worse and worse day by day to the point of I can’t get it to go over 30mph in any gear and I’m neutral if I rev it it’ll barely hit 6k rpms sometimes. I’m pretty mechanically incline with bikes and have done a lot of my own diagnostic work but am completely stumped on this so far

I’ve cleaned the fuel pump, filter, fuel rail, injectors
cleaned the spark plugs (black sooty like running rich)
Checked resistance on coil packs (also pulled them one by one with bike idling to see if idle changed but they where all good)
Cleaned throttle body
Checked tps
Changed tanks with a buddy still bogged down
Cleaned air filter
My buddy said he took the air box off and it ran better but when he reassembled it started bogging again
There’s more that I’ve done with no good outcome as of right now as soon as you start the bike it will rev but it bogs down immediately and won’t hit 10k rpms and does this in all gears. Ive ordered a new fuel pump waiting on it to get here but any other ideas would be nice because I’m losing motivation with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, what a difficult troubleshoot; I would hate to give up and take it to the dealer, admit that it can't be fixed without sophisticated computer diagnostics.

But here's a clue: you said- "So I took the fuel pump out and gave it and the tank, fuel filter a good cleaning and out it back together and it ran perfect for about 20 miles then started bogging again", so either the problem is there in that fuel flow system, or you managed to hit something on the way out that temporarily fixed your problem. Can you get a pressure gauge attached into the fuel delivery system, maybe that would provide some clue?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,701 Posts
Hell so I recently purchased a 2015 636 with only 11k miles and have had this problem of the bike bogging down at first it was a intermittent problem and someways it would have full power and some it would start bogging down at 6k rpms and fall on its face at 8k rpms. So I took the fuel pump out and gave it and the tank, fuel filter a good cleaning and out it back together and it ran perfect for about 20 miles then started bogging again and has progressively gotten worse and worse day by day to the point of I can’t get it to go over 30mph in any gear and I’m neutral if I rev it it’ll barely hit 6k rpms sometimes. I’m pretty mechanically incline with bikes and have done a lot of my own diagnostic work but am completely stumped on this so far

I’ve cleaned the fuel pump, filter, fuel rail, injectors
cleaned the spark plugs (black sooty like running rich)
Checked resistance on coil packs (also pulled them one by one with bike idling to see if idle changed but they where all good)
Cleaned throttle body
Checked tps
Changed tanks with a buddy still bogged down
Cleaned air filter
My buddy said he took the air box off and it ran better but when he reassembled it started bogging again
There’s more that I’ve done with no good outcome as of right now as soon as you start the bike it will rev but it bogs down immediately and won’t hit 10k rpms and does this in all gears. Ive ordered a new fuel pump waiting on it to get here but any other ideas would be nice because I’m losing motivation with it.
What does your air filter and ram air ducting look like? I find it odd that it ran reasonably better with the air box off.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Fuel filter needs replacing. They can’t be cleaned. You have some sort of fuel restriction issue. Tank vent, filter, pump…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts