Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, newbie here, not my first ZX6 but my most recent, and setting it up for some track time.

I just picked up a full front brake set from a ‘13 ZX6R and planned to fit this to my ‘06 for some improved braking, and because I like a project, who doesn’t!

I mounted the rotors/discs no issues, and in offering up the caliper to the fork mount I can see that I need to shave 4/5mm from either the fork mount, or the caliper itself to obtain full pad to disc contact. No issues there, I have a local machine shop. I would machine the calipers rather than the forks to allow me to return standard ’if’ required.

My real query is, I can see the ‘13 plus has a dowel arrangement on the fork to ensure the caliper is mounted perfectly square to the fork leg/rotor/disc. My thinking is, that once all mounted up, bled and still loose, I can apply brake pressure which will pull the calipers square to the disc/rotor, then torque the bolts accordingly which will ensure everything stays in place. The forces on the caliper through braking will not be of a side to side nature, only radial/circumferential, therefore I am fairly sure there should be no issue with my plan! I was also considering, if nobody has experience, having the machine shop fabricate some studs with a machined collar to locate the caliper on. So screw the stud in tight to the leg, then mount the caliper on the protruding stud and fix with a licking nut??? Or, I can see that there’s a closer tolerance and tighter fit with the mounting bolts with the tokiko calipers. I could have the machine shop just make me new mounting bolts, with a similar .03mm clearance on the bolt shank, which would hold everything as central as the old calipers were.

Has anyone carried out this modification? I’m hoping for some real world experience, otherwise I may consider selling the calipers I have in favour of some from an ‘07/08 bike, however that means me dropping back to the 300mm discs rather than the 310mm I picked up with the ‘13 set up.

I paid next to nothing for this set up, and the machining wouldn’t cost me a thing, so kind of keen to make this work. 👍🏻

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,415 Posts
Hi all, newbie here, not my first ZX6 but my most recent, and setting it up for some track time.

I just picked up a full front brake set from a ‘13 ZX6R and planned to fit this to my ‘06 for some improved braking, and because I like a project, who doesn’t!

I mounted the rotors/discs no issues, and in offering up the caliper to the fork mount I can see that I need to shave 4/5mm from either the fork mount, or the caliper itself to obtain full pad to disc contact. No issues there, I have a local machine shop. I would machine the calipers rather than the forks to allow me to return standard ’if’ required.

My real query is, I can see the ‘13 plus has a dowel arrangement on the fork to ensure the caliper is mounted perfectly square to the fork leg/rotor/disc. My thinking is, that once all mounted up, bled and still loose, I can apply brake pressure which will pull the calipers square to the disc/rotor, then torque the bolts accordingly which will ensure everything stays in place. The forces on the caliper through braking will not be of a side to side nature, only radial/circumferential, therefore I am fairly sure there should be no issue with my plan! I was also considering, if nobody has experience, having the machine shop fabricate some studs with a machined collar to locate the caliper on. So screw the stud in tight to the leg, then mount the caliper on the protruding stud and fix with a licking nut??? Or, I can see that there’s a closer tolerance and tighter fit with the mounting bolts with the tokiko calipers. I could have the machine shop just make me new mounting bolts, with a similar .03mm clearance on the bolt shank, which would hold everything as central as the old calipers were.

Has anyone carried out this modification? I’m hoping for some real world experience, otherwise I may consider selling the calipers I have in favour of some from an ‘07/08 bike, however that means me dropping back to the 300mm discs rather than the 310mm I picked up with the ‘13 set up.

I paid next to nothing for this set up, and the machining wouldn’t cost me a thing, so kind of keen to make this work. 👍🏻
Judging by the lack of replies, I'm going to say no. However I have been snooping around on the psychobike forums and I did come across a comprehensive list of swappable parts for the zx6r/zx6/zzr600. I'll look for it again and post the link later on today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging by the lack of replies, I'm going to say no. However I have been snooping around on the psychobike forums and I did come across a comprehensive list of swappable parts for the zx6r/zx6/zzr600. I'll look for it again and post the link later on today.
Thanks. I can see references to machining the calipers or machining the fork mounting points. I’m for machining the calipers as these are cheaper to potentially sacrifice than the forks!

I fitted the discs and mounted the calipers and need 3mm machined off to allow full pad to disc/rotor contact, I also need new bolts manufactured with a 10.5 body to centralise the caliper, stepping down to the M10x1.25 pitch thread.

I dropped the calipers into the local machine shop yesterday and should get them back Monday with new mounting bolts.

I managed to pick the full front braking system up for £200 here in the U.K. Discs/rotors, brake lines, calipers and master cylinder, from a 6k mile bike, they’re all like new!! Gotta be worth a go. If it doesn’t work out (although quietly confident it will!) I won’t have lost much if anything by holding on to the MC and selling the discs/rotors. 👍🏻

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

So, as an update for anyone interested or considering this, the calipers were machined, shaving 3mm from the mount, and new bolts turned/fabricated to mount them to the fork legs. All I can say is, the braking is way better, far better feel from the brake lever, and bite it immediate. This modification included the newer 310mm discs, and 2013 master cylinder.

I’m on track next weekend and expect to see a vast improvement over the old Tokico brakes.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,415 Posts
View attachment 21753

So, as an update for anyone interested or considering this, the calipers were machined, shaving 3mm from the mount, and new bolts turned/fabricated to mount them to the fork legs. All I can say is, the braking is way better, far better feel from the brake lever, and bite it immediate. This modification included the newer 310mm discs, and 2013 master cylinder.

I’m on track next weekend and expect to see a vast improvement over the old Tokico brakes.
I'm not as big of an enthusiast of the zx6r as I am with the zx7. Without intimate knowledge of knowing which model years came with which specific front end and braking components, I can't tell the difference. I'm interested in hearing your feedback after your track day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts