Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since my 2012 ZX14R was new I have had transmission issues with it. With less than 150 miles, the engine had to be removed to repair a defect in the transmission shift fork and drum assembly. The trans shifts smooth after the repair, but neutral to first was pretty bad when ever the engine got above 190F.
I dropped my bike to my selling dealer and I was told it was normal. Wow, really... but it's getting worse. So, I brought it back two weeks later and said, I refuse to believe this is normal. So, the dealer called Kawi and was told to remove the clutch and inspect, deglaze and glass bead the clutch plates. I got the bike back a week later and the problem got much worse. Now when it banged hard into 1st gear, it was very hard to pull the shift lever out of 1st.
I then called Kawasaki customer car center and I was told to take my bike to another dealer to get a second opinion. So that is what I did. I took the bike to where my wife and I bought her Ninja 300. The mechanic and service manager instantly recognized a problem with my bike. So, this dealer called Kawi tech line to get an authorization to replace my clutch, but to his surprise, Kawi told the service manager to replace every mechanical part in the clutch system. I mean literally everything from the bearings, hubs, clutch plates,clutch hubs, washers, screws and springs were all replaced. My bike was completed in three days. I asked to see all the old parts and I was amazed how many parts make up the clutch. Wow.....I wonder why my selling dealer couldn't do this for me. I had to ask one question to the shop that fixed my bike. Out of the $1400 in parts (I saw the parts bill) which part was really the defective part that caused my ZX14R to slam hard into gear. The tech said, he was unsure because Kawi just told him to replace everything, but he feels a warped clutch plate most likely was the cause. My bike shifts nice now and it does not get stuck in first gear anymore. The transmission shifts so smooth now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ever since my 2012 ZX14R was new I have had transmission issues with it. With less than 150 miles, the engine had to be removed to repair a defect in the transmission shift fork and drum assembly. The trans shifts smooth after the repair, but neutral to first was pretty bad when ever the engine got above 190F.
I dropped my bike to my selling dealer and I was told it was normal. Wow, really... but it's getting worse. So, I brought it back two weeks later and said, I refuse to believe this is normal. So, the dealer called Kawi and was told to remove the clutch and inspect, deglaze and glass bead the clutch plates. I got the bike back a week later and the problem got much worse. Now when it banged hard into 1st gear, it was very hard to pull the shift lever out of 1st.
I then called Kawasaki customer car center and I was told to take my bike to another dealer to get a second opinion. So that is what I did. I took the bike to where my wife and I bought her Ninja 300. The mechanic and service manager instantly recognized a problem with my bike. So, this dealer called Kawi tech line to get an authorization to replace my clutch, but to his surprise, Kawi told the service manager to replace every mechanical part in the clutch system. I mean literally everything from the bearings, hubs, clutch plates,clutch hubs, washers, screws and springs were all replaced. My bike was completed in three days. I asked to see all the old parts and I was amazed how many parts make up the clutch. Wow.....I wonder why my selling dealer couldn't do this for me. I had to ask one question to the shop that fixed my bike. Out of the $1400 in parts (I saw the parts bill) which part was really the defective part that caused my ZX14R to slam hard into gear. The tech said, he was unsure because Kawi just told him to replace everything, but he feels a warped clutch plate most likely was the cause. My bike shifts nice now and it does not get stuck in first gear anymore. The transmission shifts so smooth now.
I'm glad its fixed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Im so surprised that Kawi wanted every part of the clutch replaced. Between the engine removal to replace a faulty shift forks, drum; the failed clutch plate glass bead procedure to ultimately replacing every clutch component in my 2012 Zx14R, Kawi USA has spent a lot fixing their screw ups. I really hope this is the end of the problems with this bike. My warranty expires in may of next year. I wonder if I should get an extended warranty on my bike? Kawi warranty or non Kawi warranty?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems.
Glad to hear they took care of it.
I bought the GTPP, good times protection plan from kawasaki. Covers the bike for 5 years, $0 deductible and unlimited mileage.
I forget the cost, about $500.
I didn't use it but felt good that i would know everything would be covered. it doesn't take much these days to run up a $500 shop bill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im so surprised that Kawi wanted every part of the clutch replaced. Between the engine removal to replace a faulty shift forks, drum; the failed clutch plate glass bead procedure to ultimately replacing every clutch component in my 2012 Zx14R, Kawi USA has spent a lot fixing their screw ups. I really hope this is the end of the problems with this bike. My warranty expires in may of next year. I wonder if I should get an extended warranty on my bike? Kawi warranty or non Kawi warranty?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
IMO they probably wanted ALL the clutch parts replacing 'cos they weren't 100% sure exactly which part was causing the problem. This, together with the fact that the owner has had a pretty shite experience of 14R ownership so far meant they wanted all bases covered and less chance of the bike coming back with the same problem. Whatever, a good result in the end for the owner and fair play to Kawasaki USA for sticking with it and getting it fixed.
Extended warranties can offer some peace of mind but they usually tie you in to dealer servicing for the duration. Depends how happy/confident you are letting someone else work on your bike I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Hrch
Sounds Like Kawi did the right thing for you. As far as the good time protection its the best thing I ever did on my 2007 ZX14 because I tossed a piston through the case at around 11,000 miles and they fixxed it...the dealer told me it cost Kawi about 8 grand to fix my bike so $500 is well worth it. The Best is I paid $8000 when i purchased my bike new.
I see your from NJ and I am from Staten Island what dealer did you buy your bike from? I got mine at Metuchen Kawasaki in Jersey.
Glad it all worked out for you.
Snuffy

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've heard more than one person having problems with the transmission and or clutch..Wonder If it has anything to do with the new slipper clutch.I never had any prblems with my 09.Think I'll keep it.
Craig

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
IMO they probably wanted ALL the clutch parts replacing 'cos they weren't 100% sure exactly which part was causing the problem. This, together with the fact that the owner has had a pretty shite experience of 14R ownership so far meant they wanted all bases covered and less chance of the bike coming back with the same problem. Whatever, a good result in the end for the owner and fair play to Kawasaki USA for sticking with it and getting it fixed.
Extended warranties can offer some peace of mind but they usually tie you in to dealer servicing for the duration. Depends how happy/confident you are letting someone else work on your bike I guess.
Nothing like that for the kawasaki warranty.
But they do void their warranty for any mods done to the bike.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Hey Hrch
Sounds Like Kawi did the right thing for you. As far as the good time protection its the best thing I ever did on my 2007 ZX14 because I tossed a piston through the case at around 11,000 miles and they fixxed it...the dealer told me it cost Kawi about 8 grand to fix my bike so $500 is well worth it. The Best is I paid $8000 when i purchased my bike new.
I see your from NJ and I am from Staten Island what dealer did you buy your bike from? I got mine at Metuchen Kawasaki in Jersey.
Snuffy
For $125 a year for an extra 4 years is definately worth it.
What caused a piston to go through the case? Or do you mean a rod?
been a couple instances of rods going through the case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For $125 a year for an extra 4 years is definately worth it.
What caused a piston to go through the case? Or do you mean a rod?
been a couple instances of rods going through the case.
My Bad i meant Rod....as far as mods voiding warranty I had a PC3 and a 4-2-1 Roaring Toyz Megaphone exaust and they covered my bike.
Snuffy

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
My Bad i meant Rod....as far as mods voiding warranty I had a PC3 and a 4-2-1 Roaring Toyz Megaphone exaust and they covered my bike.
Snuffy
you have a good dealer. They could have easily said you had mods and voided the claim.
Did they say what caused the rod failure?
Still sort of a mystery.
Sorry hrch, don't mean to thread jack. Nobody knows for sure what caused the rod failures.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
It does seem odd to replace everything , but then its also odd that they didn't want the parts back for failure analysis. I mean kawi would not want to spend this kind of money twice so why not get the parts back and figure out what went wrong ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does seem odd to replace everything , but then its also odd that they didn't want the parts back for failure analysis. I mean kawi would not want to spend this kind of money twice so why not get the parts back and figure out what went wrong ?

I was told by the dealer that Kawi will most likely call the parts back. i only looked at the parts, dealer is hanging on to it.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
I was told by the dealer that Kawi will most likely call the parts back. i only looked at the parts, dealer is hanging on to it.
Gotcha , for some reason i thought they gave you the parts back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Hrch
Snuffy
Yes, Kawi did do the right thing. Personally, they should have given me a new bike when my transmission went out only after one week and 149 miles of ownership. But, at the end Kawi did make it right. I bought my ZX-14R from East Coast Powersports in NJ. This was my 8th bike from that dealership and it most likely will be the last. I've been their customer since the mid 90's. Don't get me wrong the staff there is great, I just didn't appreciate it that my selling dealer kept insisting that the banging hard into first gear issue I had on my 2012 ZX14R was normal. I was a little upset when the service manager threw his hands up and walked away from me while I was still talking to him. I had told him that their last attempt to fix my bike actually made my bike worst. It took a call to Kawi customer support center and a suggestion from the customer rep to take my bike to another shop that finally got my bike fixed right. Rizzon Kawi is a great shop with good people. I didn't buy my ZX-14R from them but Rizzon still treated me very well. They acknowledged a problem and fixed my bike in only three days. My wife bought her Ninja 300 from them. I will definitely buy from Rizzon again. And I will do my best to give Rizzon as much business as I can. It's a good thing, because I am not one to shop online. I like one on one personal service and I don't mind paying a little more for it either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i think clutch is a big problem in new zx14r its heavy as well some times it doesnt really grap i am only 3500 miles so its too early to complain i will let them check in the next service !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts