Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what I thought was only going to be a minor repair has turned into a major project. My new Zx-14r only had 40 miles when I began to notice something was not right with the shifter lever. I first thought it was because the bike was new so I continued to drive it for a little over 100 miles. So, the next morning I called the dealership and I was told to bring the bike in to have it looked. They were able to duplicate the problem very easily. So, I was told that the clutch will need to be removed and inspected. The next day I received a phone call from the service manager. I was then told that the clutch and clutch basket looked good. The service manager also contacted Kawasaki tech support and was told to replace the shift fork and some other parts. Sounds simple I thought. Not really I was told. The engine will need to be removed and the block will need to be split. I'm very grateful that the dealership is doing their best to fix my bike. However my bike only has 149 miles on it. I just picked it up on May 23. Did I get stuck with a lemon?. I have had several Kawasaki sportbikes ,this is the first time I have ever had a problem with it. I havent even stopped to refill my fuel tank and the engine already needs to be removed. I was told by the service manager it will take about 2 weeks. My dealership has a great staff, I have been their customer for about 18 years. However, I must admit I'm a little concerned with the turnout of a major repair. I mean really, my bike only has 149 miles and now this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my last bike, a honda xr650l dual sport. Less than a week of riding, and had to send it back to the dealer. They cracked the case and ended up replacing the shift fork. Worked great after that.
Hope it works out

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The crankcase gets split.

Who is the dealer? I would probably try to talk them into giving me a new bike.
East coast powersports. I bought all 8 of my Kawis from them. The staff is really great over there. I have been doing business with them since 1994.
I called Kawasaki customer service. I spoke to one of the most rudest person you can think of. He actually started yelling at me. I told him all I wanted was some type of additional warranty on the transmission. The guys name was Tim. He was so rude. I think he thought I was some young smartass kid. I told him I am a 42 year person who just bought his 8th Kawasaki and my motorcycle's transmission just broke with the bike only having 149 miles. He did apologize to me, however, the damage was done. I then spoke to his boss. I'm actually more upset at Tim from customer support than I am about my bike.

As far as asking for a new bike, I doubt that will happen. Mechanical things can fail at any time even when new. I just want my bike fixed and put back exactly the way it was. I take very good care of all my toys. I was told two weeks. The service manager has been excellent. I'm sure I will hear back from him before the two weeks. As I said, I just want my bike fixed and put back together just the way it was. My bike was completely scratch free, I expect it returned to me in the same way.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
This really sucks. No one wants their new toy to be taken away and opened up.

I hope that this time next year you will have forgotten all about this. The right thing for the dealer to do is to give you a new bike, but the only feasible way for them to do it (and stay in business) is for Kawasaki NA to provide the bike. What would the dealership do with a newly disassembled bike with mileage on it.

I hope this has a happy ending for you. It could happen with any brand. Don't blame Kawasaki except for hiring a rude customer service person.

·
Registered
354 Posts
East coast powersports
I got my FSM from them, via eBay. I tried to buy a bke from them but they would not match the price I got from Cycle World in Cherry Hill. Best of luck with the repair, we should plan a ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The right thing for the dealer to do is to give you a new bike, but the only feasible way for them to do it (and stay in business) is for Kawasaki NA to provide the bike. What would the dealership do with a newly disassembled bike with mileage on it.
Uhh, why the fuck would the dealer leave the bike disassembled? It doesn't matter who owns the bike, Kawasaki NA will repair it. The dealership could easily give the guy a whole new bike, get the other one repaired(zero cost to them, the service side of the dealership will actually make money) and sell it as used.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
That sux , I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles . It tends to put a damper on your new purchase when something goes wrong but I doubt they will replace the whole bike unless there are constant problems . In that case they would be covered under your states lemon laws any way so no worries .

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I bought my 2010 Raider S (brand new) I got the dreaded lifter problem. I was pretty angry because that problem had supposedly been fixed on the 2009 models. At first I had trouble with the dealer, but after I talked with a lawyer (my daughter hee hee) and the store owner, steps were taken to listen to me. It took three and a half weeks for Yamaha Canada to get the parts, so I lost almost a months riding time, which up here is a quarter of the season. Yamaha Canada were rude and uncompromising. Even a call from Consumer Affairs did no good. I know how you feel buddy - 20K on a bike is a BIG investment, and nobody likes being disrespected after spending that kind of coin. I get better customer service from Timmies when I buy a coffee for cryin out loud. At any rate, I have 28,000 on the bike now, and it hasn't missed a beat and runs like it is heading for 100k without a problem. At first I was really pissed at the bike, but now I love it - all is forgiven. I hope that this is just a small setback for you, and you have an awesome time with the bike.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Uhh, why the fuck would the dealer leave the bike disassembled? It doesn't matter who owns the bike, Kawasaki NA will repair it. The dealership could easily give the guy a whole new bike, get the other one repaired(zero cost to them, the service side of the dealership will actually make money) and sell it as used.
Uhh, what's with the aggression??!!!
If you read what I said before you had a mysterious need to jump down my throat, I wrote "newly disassembled". I did not say that they left the bike disassembled.

Who pissed you off today?

·
Premium Member
13,201 Posts
In a way, anyone who buys a new vehicle, even one of a proven design, is a bit of a guinea pig for testing factory quality control. If you watch the recall notices in the back of CW, you'll see lots of small issues but very few major mechanical problems with ANY new bike. This is because cases like the new 14Rs transmission woes are anomalies, not across-the-board problems. It happens and it's the reason for warranties.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would probably try to talk them into giving me a new bike.
I believe the only way this would happen is if the "Lemon law" came into play. Same problem would have to occur 3 times I think. Right now it's a mechanical issue to be repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Having your new toy back in the shop with less than a good days riding on it has really got to suck! But it will be fixed & I reckon if it were me, I'd just be thankful it is still under warranty. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Whoa!! Something absolutely sounds wrong here!

Exactly what wasn't right with your transmission ? Was it jamming in gear, failing to shift into gear, pop out of gears?

The '14 tranny is designed and built for full power, hard slamming in and out of gears, at Redline. Unless I am mistaken, your bike never saw any full power up and hard power down use.

Splitting cases on a brand new Kawasaki ZX-14, regardlous of the sacred distributors recommendations and your glorious past history with your dealer is a stunning, shocking and incredibly weird and screw ball thing thing to do.

Since you are still under warranty it all is on Kawasaki. Unless that transmission is skipping gears, popping out of gears, jambing and so forth, ride it and use it.

After break-in, change the oil and run the living shit out of your motorcycle and see if you have any problems.

Outside of the forgoing, I would absolutely never have any dealer split the cases at 149 miles. Unless you are having real problems with that tranny, splitting cases on a brand new '14 is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe the only way this would happen is if the "Lemon law" came into play. Same problem would have to occur 3 times I think. Right now it's a mechanical issue to be repaired under warranty.
I appreciate everyone's concern. Yes, it sucks really bad. I'm actually doing my best to not think about it too much. I'm glad I have another bike. Today, my wife and I rode a lot. She rode her own H-D and so did I. I'm actually more concerned in getting my bike back without any scratches from the major repair. (frame, fairings) My bike only has 149 miles on. It is completely scratch free. I know that because before the bike went into the shop I had just finished wiping the entire bike down.

As far as lemon law it is not as easy as one might think. Every state is different. I have already checked the official NJ state lemon law. To sum it up, the dealer will have 20 cumulative days to repair my bike. After the 20th day, I can file a report with the NJ lemon law office. I will also need to send a certified letter to the manufacturer stating my concerns and intention. The state even provides a sample letter. (how nice). Then, I must give the manufacturer another try to repair the vehicle up to ten days. After that, I must notify the state and if my bike is not fixed after that, the state will order the manufacturer to buy back/ replace the vehicle. I can choose either one. I don't need to wait for 3 failed repair attempts to file a case if the total of days is 20. However I will still need to give the manufacture one last chance to fix it.

Honestly, as long as my bike is put back together just the way it was when I dropped it off, (and of course repaired 100%) all will be good. I really like my dealership, and I know the service manager there will do his best to make sure that the work is done right.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whoa!! Something absolutely sounds wrong here!

Exactly what wasn't right with your transmission ? Was it jamming in gear, failing to shift into gear, pop out of gears?

The '14 tranny is designed and built for full power, hard slamming in and out of gears, at Redline. Unless I am mistaken, your bike never saw any full power up and hard power down use.

Splitting cases on a brand new Kawasaki ZX-14, regardlous of the sacred distributors recommendations and your glorious past history with your dealer is a stunning, shocking and incredibly weird and screw ball thing thing to do.

Since you are still under warranty it all is on Kawasaki. Unless that transmission is skipping gears, popping out of gears, jambing and so forth, ride it and use it.

After break-in, change the oil and run the living shit out of your motorcycle and see if you have any problems.

Outside of the forgoing, I would absolutely never have any dealer split the cases at 149 miles. Unless you are having real problems with that tranny, splitting cases on a brand new '14 is the dumbest thing I ever heard.
The transmission felt incredibly smooth and perfect until about 40 miles or so. During my short time riding the bike, I never once lugged the engine by shifting in high gears at low speed or even went over 4000 rpm. I babied the heck out of the bike, just as I do with all my toys. Then, the bike jumped out of gear or didn't go into gear (I think I was attempting 3rd or 4th gear) After that, the shifter would would not easily return down when upshifting or up when downshifting. The shifter lever felt like it was binding. Then, when putting the bike into first gear, the whole bike jerked forward very hard accompanied with a loud bang. I know kawi trans bang into first gear, but nothing like this. I have owned Kawi Ninjas since 1994 and this was my 8th Ninja. So, I knew in an instant that something was not right.

I'm not crazy about splitting the case. I wish it did not have to get done, but what choice do I really have. If I don't let the dealer proceed in fixing my bike, I will void the warranty because I refused a repair which I'm sure will cause additional severe problems.
My dealer has been good to me for all these years. I have never had a mechanical problem in any kawi bike that I had owned. I did have a 2011 ZX-14 for about a year. I sold it because I didn't like the heat issue with that bike and at the same time, I wanted the revised 2012 ZX-14R.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having your new toy back in the shop with less than a good days riding on it has really got to suck! But it will be fixed & I reckon if it were me, I'd just be thankful it is still under warranty. Good luck with it.
Yes, this really does suck. This is when I miss my 1998 ZX-11 D model. That was an excellent and trouble free bike. It just sux that before I get a chance to refill my first tank, the engine already has to be removed due to a defect.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got my FSM from them, via eBay. I tried to buy a bke from them but they would not match the price I got from Cycle World in Cherry Hill. Best of luck with the repair, we should plan a ride.
Forgive me if I sound dumb, What's an FSM? Cycle world is one of the cheapest place to buy a bike. Sometimes too cheap to be real. I heard from several people that one reason why cycle world can sell bikes so cheap is because they often get their bikes from auctions. Yup, new vehicle auctions. These bikes come from dealers who either went out of business or is overstocked on a bike and can't get rid of them. This really shouldn't matter because as long as the bike has not been warranty registered, the final buyer will still be covered against defect. Cycle world is just too far for me. My dealer did match the price of Cycle world for me when I bought my 2011 ZX-14.

A planned ride would be great. I don't ride aggressively at all. I simply enjoy a nice ride. If my wife is not riding her H-D or Ninjette (Ninja 250R) We would just ride 2 up. Come to think of it, we ride 2 up 90% of the time that I ride. I have owned a big sportbike since my 1998 ZX-11. Many people have asked me since I'm not into speed, why get one of the fastest production bikes. It's simple really, I just like a big sport bike. Plus, with all that available power, it's nice to not have to keep shifting while cruising two up on a back country road. Just open the throttle and off we go.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What's an FSM? Cycle world is one of the cheapest place to buy a bike. Sometimes too cheap to be real. I heard from several people that one reason why cycle world can sell bikes so cheap is because they often get their bikes from auctions.
FSM = Factory Shop Manual. My 49-spec bike came out of a crate with 0 miles, so I'm not concerned with its origins.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FSM = Factory Shop Manual. My 49-spec bike came out of a crate with 0 miles, so I'm not concerned with its origins.

FSM=Factory shop manual. I would have never thought of that. Cool, now I know. Nice pic of the 0 miles. I'm almost 100% sure my 12 ZX14R also had 0 miles on it. i remember telling my wife about the odometer as we rode the bike out of the dealer lot. I remember saying one mile and realizing that I did not take a picture of the odometer. I usual take a pic of the odometer when the mileage reaches 1000 miles. My 2012 ZX-14 is also a 49 state. My 2011 ZX-14 was a Ca Spec. I was too depressed after giving up my ZX-11 to notice the white sticker above the fuel cap. I made sure my 2012 ZX-14 was not a CA spec bike.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts