Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Ive been challenged to a race straight and turns. My bike 05 636 with power commander, custom GP pipe, and K&N drop in filter. will I have a chance? should I bet money on it?
Mike

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
They are what? Like 120 HP and 800 lbs?

I wouldn't be worried. He might get off the line faster, but thats about it.

·
16,062 Posts
If you are both pro-level riders?
He doesn't have a prayer in the turns.
However, if you take it to the strip, he will eat your lunch.
If you are both just average street riders.....
it's anyone's guess.
And there's a good chance of someone getting hurt.
I wouldn't race on public roads, just to prove a point.
Just tell him you already know he would win a drag race and you would win a twisty race.
It's a draw.
Walk away and live to ride another day.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Now that I look more into it, maybe...

They are 672 lbs, have 122 hp... but probably aren't geared very high. A regeared 636 should mop the floor with it, but stock...possibly not.

·
16,062 Posts
I went to a bike night a few years ago and watched a slightly modded Vrod,
mop the floor with every bike he raced in the 1/8.
Mostly SS bikes.
The torque and jump off the line was ridiculous.
Of course, he seemed like he knew what he was doing.

If this challenger of yours is just a weekend warrior blow-hard, there's a good chance that you can get him on the strip.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
if you are both pro-level riders?
It's anyone's guess.
Just tell him you already know he would win a drag race and you would win a twisty race.
It's a draw.
+1

·
Forum Leaders
19,944 Posts
IM an average street rider, mr vrod just bought the bike never had a street bike before...only dirtbkes and quads...
I tend to avoid competition with noob riders all together :dunno

I can't trust them to keep themselves alive when they are pushing a machine to its limit not to mention trusting them to not get me killed either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are both pro-level riders?
it's anyone's guess.
It's a draw.
buddy of mine has a modded 2010 vrod, raced in the 1/4 and i beat him every time. only did the jumper mod to my bike then, that was it, running stock tires too

·
16,062 Posts
buddy of mine has a modded 2010 vrod, raced in the 1/4 and i beat him every time. only did the jumper mod to my bike then, that was it, running stock tires too
That just tells me that he's the wrong guy for the job.
A ZX6R doesn't have a chance against a bike like that, on the strip, with 2 experienced racers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That just tells me that he's the wrong guy for the job.
A ZX6R doesn't have a chance against a bike like that, on the strip, with 2 experienced racers.
he did leave me a little on the line, and maybe i should add im bout 120lbs lighter than him lol

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
On paper your Kawi should win.
It's all about the rider though. "IF" Mr. Vrod doesn't have much seat time in, you are inviting this rider to an injury and a crash. I would be leery of this guy's story. I'd suggest just doing some casual street riding with him first. See how he controls the bike. After you have observed his riding skills, then challenge him to a friendly contest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On paper your Kawi should win.
It's all about the rider though. "IF" Mr. Vrod doesn't have much seat time in, you are inviting this rider to an injury and a crash. I would be leery of this guy's story. I'd suggest just doing some casual street riding with him first. See how he controls the bike. After you have observed his riding skills, then challenge him to a friendly contest.
He just bought his v rod no lie like 4 days ago. I know him and he thinks he knows everything and he has a big mouth. He knows my 636 is fast for its class but wants to race me for some reason.

·
Registered
888 Posts
the law wins these type of races.

challenge your neighbor on the track, otherwise try not to kill some kid playing on the street or some lady driving to pickup her kids from school. It cost money to take it on the tracks, i doubt both of you will pay that money to prove a point between a harley and a sportbike - not even motorcycle magazine would pair such.

·
Registered
427 Posts
the vrod will smoke you if he can ride, they have the power and torque. the handling isn't too bad. and it all depends on the year, the newer ones have 146 to the crank... we can all talk bad about harleys but don't under estimate them. my 79 will lift up 2nd gear no problem or smoke the tire off if it won't lift

1 - 20 of 22 Posts