Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in a set of slip-ons for my 2012... Any advice?

Primary wants:

Make more room for the hard luggage
Loose a few lbs
Make some room for lower pegs
Not spend 10% of the price of the bike! $700 or less would be sweet.
Not make too much noise.
More HP? No, I really don't think I can use more on the street! OK I'd take a couple HP but its not a primary concern.

I really like the way my buddies Scorpions sounded on his blackbird. Throaty but not obnoxious.

I wonder if a guy could get a set of "generic" cans (maybe a set from a 06-11) and have some mid-pipes bent up to both save a few bucks and make some room for lower pegs.

Love the bike, with only two bitches: The cans are huge/ugly and the pegs are too high and forward.

·
Administrator
58,571 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a good option to me. I really like the look of their CF/SS cans, and yours sound very nice. Can't beat $400. Hopefully they release 2012 models soon.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought a new 14r and would like slip ons but man everyone is proud of them. I have a hard time spending 700+ for slip-ons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the muzzy slip ons. For the price, they are excellent. Lost 40 lbs over stock. Loud enough to enjoy the sound, but don't bother me at a 80 mph cruise. I do know a 2010 zx14 owner that after 24000 miles had to replace the CF can due to the fact that it had cracked at that mount. Not sure if it was due to over torquing or a design shortcoming.

·
Registered
114 Posts
so i just got my bike finaly which exhaust is better Yoshimura or two brothers ? they are the same price for slip ons ? 2012 kawi

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the TBR carbon slip ons on my '12. Yes, they are on the loud side, but you can buy the inserts to reduce the sound level. They really aren't that bad. I like the sound now, whereas I didn't at first because I was so used to the stockers. I personally like the look of the TBR more than the Yosh because of their slimmer profile. Fit and finish are excellent.

A pair of good slip ons costs almost as much as a full system but I went with them because I wanted a weight reduction while retaining the stock power and torque curves, but with a little bump in HP and throttle response. I didn't want the added expense of a PCV and the related tuning.

BTW, the OEM mufflers on a '12 14R weigh 32 lbs. (on my digital scale), so I can't see how the OP lost 40 lbs. going to slip ons.

·
Registered
114 Posts
and also Two Brothers offers something called juice box which is £260 i might get that too but i think i wont be needed that till second service

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Unless you find a screaming deal, I would recommend Muzzys. I have Scorpions and they came with cheapo plastic hanger loops, one of which broke. I E-mailed Muzzys because I knew from a past bike that their loops were neoprene-lined stainless-much more substantial. I also told the guy at Muzzys I had lowered the pipes by 1 1/4" at the peg bracket to make clearance for the Givi bags, and he sent along a pair of stainless drop brackets for no extra charge. Much nicer than the flat painted steel ones I made. Those guys are top shelf.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a set of TBR sitting in a box in my garage.I never thought they were loud enough.I liked them but my year had 3 converters,one in the header.After I got the Brocks it screams and weighs 10 lbs including header.And yeah it's loud.
Craig

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you are interested in Scorpions check out the clearouts at "Iron Pony". I snagged a nice pair for 220$ with mid pipes NIB last fall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts