Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 zx14,
25,000km... I am an "easy" rider, mostly day rides just above speed limit...
All regular maintenance done, no wheelies, burnouts, ... Etc.
I have had the rod connecting bolts "walk" loose allowing the rod to break and blow threw the case... Have checked Internet and see this has happened before to 08's, and 09's... Anyone else dealing with this...??
I have extended warranty, just want to ensure the best "fix" for the problem...??? Any advise appreciated !!!:banghead

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
I haven't heard of this particular issue under the circumstances you describe, but if everything you are saying is true, I would think it had to be a quality control issue with either KHI's connecting rod bolt supplier, which would mean there are lots of bikes with the same issue, or something was screwed up as the engine was assembled, which could account for smaller numbers of occurance. If it WAS a parts-quality issue, I would think they would have come up with updated bolts by now, but I suspect this was an anomaly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some conversations of torques not being right out of factory and faulty connector rod bolts... It's in the shop now being assessed... Just checking for similar issues, want to make sure it is "fixed" right... Not just replaced... And fails again..!!!
Thanks...

·
27,825 Posts
Like Hammer, I haven't heard of anybody else having this type of failure. I think this is a one off assembly error and I wouldn't worry about it happening in a new motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... Always rode Kawasaki and never a problem... Find them bullet proof (if you "care" for them)... Just paranoid now that my "Brand New" bike puked out a rod... Bought "New" so I wouldn't have a problem...???
Hope this fix is all it takes...
Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
There have been some oil starvation-related rod and crank bearing failures, usually from a bike running after it's been dropped or extensive wheelies causing the pickup to suck wind, but this doesn't sound like one of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts