Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My bike has developed a vibration band between 5000 and 6000 RPM. The bike is smooth right up to 5000, then the mirrors start buzzing bad enough so I can't make out the cars behind me. Then at 6000 the bike is smooth again right up to 10,000. This happens in any gear so it must be coming from the engine. I have 35,000km on the bike. There is a ticking noise that has been around since 10,000KM but I don't think the two issues are related. I have not had the valves adjusted yet, I was thinking about playing with the counter-balancers first. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Is the bike stock? Have you changed anything lately? When is the last time you changed spark plugs? When's the last time you had the throttle bodies synchronized? More info please.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is 100% stock. Spark plugs were changed 6000km ago. The throttle bodies have never been synchronized. I am running Kawasaki synthetic oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, here is a bit more info. I checked the motor mounts, all were ok. For those who have ridden a Busa, the vibration is almost identical except the Busa vibration band is from 3600 to 4500 RPM.

·
18,914 Posts
Start with synchronizing the throttle bodies this should be done every once in a while any way so no money wasted , the same with the plugs . Tune up items are most notorious for causing strange problems any way so its a great place to start.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The bike was due for a valve adjustment at 15000 miles (25000 kms). I would suggest you start there. Synching the throttle bodies and new plugs should probably be done at the same time. If that doesn't solve the problem post back up.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Wow this is the only bike that doesn't shake the mirrors.Got 7000 miles with alot of mods.Good luck.;
Craig

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
A couple of points here;

Once you've done everything to smooth the motor out and made sure everything's tight and right, there may still be some vibration. Every inline 4 has some vibes that the counterbalancer(s) may not be able to damp out. Every motor is different, even the same models that were right together on the assembly line. Without a professional quality teardown and blueprinting, it's likely that no motor is as smooth as it could be. You may, at some point, be forced to live with a less-than-electric-smooth machine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello,
My bike has developed a vibration band between 5000 and 6000 RPM. The bike is smooth right up to 5000, then the mirrors start buzzing bad enough so I can't make out the cars behind me. Then at 6000 the bike is smooth again right up to 10,000. This happens in any gear so it must be coming from the engine. I have 35,000km on the bike. There is a ticking noise that has been around since 10,000KM but I don't think the two issues are related. I have not had the valves adjusted yet, I was thinking about playing with the counter-balancers first. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ron
Check to see if any engine mounting screws are loose, axle nuts loose, fairing lose, screws do get loose and start to back out; buzzing mirrors shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i got the same problem and my one is zx14r 12' :( yesterday in the motorway 5000-6000 revs couldn't see anything from the mirrors from the buzz and my hands was buzzy i only upgrade to yoshimura slip ons but i get the same thing before installing the yoshi. i didnt put a commander yet .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am going to check the counter balancers first, this looks like an easy task. Money is a little tight right now, but in the spring next year I am going to get the valves adjusted, throttle bodies synchronized and new plugs installed. If that does not solve the problem then I will ride it until it quits.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am going to check the counter balancers first, this looks like an easy task. Money is a little tight right now, but in the spring next year I am going to get the valves adjusted, throttle bodies synchronized and new plugs installed. If that does not solve the problem then I will ride it until it quits.
FWIW, my first valve adjustment was at 20K+ miles, one intake tight by one shim deviation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I would post this update even though I sold the ZX14 and bought a new Busa. I used to own a 2004 Busa and decided to go back to Suzuki, this is just my personal choice, both bikes are awesome.

I had the motor mounts re-torqued, throttle bodies synched, valves checked and adjusted, APE tensioner added and she still vibrated and ticked. Whatever the problem was, I am sure it was not serious since the bike was still running solid when I sold it.

Thanks to everyone for the great support and tips. Ride safe.

Ron

·
18,914 Posts
I found the problem

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
Thanks for the update. Most guys who come here with their ticking and buzzing and funny noise issues never post up to say how or even if they were resolved.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Not sure if it was a good idea resolving the problem by purchasing a busa.
It's like getting rid of 1 problem and getting 10 in return.
He'll be back
I agree with you. The ticking could be the chain needing lube. Mine does that and goes away after I lube it. My bike is almost to the 15k mark. Will do valves sometime. Off season I am thinking. I can do in my house where I store her. hehe. You should have checked the tires to make sure they are balanced and also what tires are you running? What psi too. Do they have odd wear? But, hey. You got a Hiya-busa? I think they are the ugliest bikes ever. That is your money to spend. Be nice to know what the problem was. That info would help members out if they got that.

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
I agree with you. The ticking could be the chain needing lube. Mine does that and goes away after I lube it. My bike is almost to the 15k mark. Will do valves sometime. Off season I am thinking. I can do in my house where I store her. hehe. You should have checked the tires to make sure they are balanced and also what tires are you running? What psi too. Do they have odd wear? But, hey. You got a Hiya-busa? I think they are the ugliest bikes ever. That is your money to spend. Be nice to know what the problem was. That info would help members out if they got that.
That's why I ride with music. If a noise gets obnoxious, I just turn up the volume.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I never road with tunes. I like the sound of the engine and road noise. I think tunes might over extend my confidence and have a oops

To some people its a rocket.
To others it's freedom. (R.I.P 1999 zx9r, 2008 zx14)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts