2008 KAWASAKI KLR650 REFINES ON-ROAD CAPABILITIES
Tougher, faster, more comfortable and better-performing than ever.
The new KLR650 is well suited to life on the highways, deserts, mountains or even the challenging terrain of today’s urban jungle. For 21 years, the Kawasaki KLR650 has been the smart choice for riders seeking reliable on and off-road performance. Now, the 2008 KLR650 features thorough updates aimed at making it a better tour-ready dual-purpose bike than ever before.
Featuring new suspension and brakes, the KLR650 is a fun, functional commuter during the week and an adept dirt road blaster on weekends. The new 41mm front forks now have less static sag for a taut, smooth ride on pavement. Front suspension travel is reduced from 9.1 in. to 7.9 in. A redesigned UNI-TRAK® linkage reduces sag and compliments the new front suspension by reducing rear wheel travel from 8.1 in. to 7.3 in.
The 2008 KLR650 features enhanced stopping power, thanks to a new 280mm petal-style front brake rotor that’s similar to ones used on Kawasaki’s Ninja® sportbikes. Rear braking performance is also improved, thanks to a new rear brake calliper. These new suspension and brake upgrades boost the KLR650’s on-road performance, without diminishing its versatile off-road capabilities. Several new refinements help make the KLR650 an even more worthy touring companion. There’s a larger rear luggage rack that’s 3.5 in. longer and 5.1 in. wider than the old rack, and a new, narrower tail section which makes it easier to mount saddlebags. Wind protection is also improved with all-new bodywork featuring a taller windscreen and large shrouds. A large 6.1-gallon fuel tank and miserly fuel economy mean the new KLR650 retains its legendary range between fill-ups.
Riders will be able to take full advantage of the KLR’s range, thanks to a revised seat design and new urethane foam for greater long-distance comfort. A high-capacity 36W alternator powers a new higher-output headlight and offers extra capacity to power the add-on electronic gadgets touring riders can’t live without. The KLR650 motor, already renowned for being rugged, reliable and powerful, is now even better. There’s improved throttle response from a new throttle position sensor and revised ignition mapping, and revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance. A redesigned cylinder head boasts new intake porting for greater low-end torque and quicker throttle response in city traffic, as well as improved top-end power for high-speed cruising on the open road.
More on-road competence doesn’t mean less off-road fun. The KLR650 has a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor for access to any road open to licensed vehicles, and a tough engine guard protects the engine from loose rocks and gravel. With an optional Kawasaki tank bag and soft luggage on the larger standard rear rack, KLR650 owners can tote enough gear for an extended trip to any remote location. All these improvements mean that more than ever, the new KLR650 is the ideal go-farther, multi-surface motorcycle for riders craving on and off-road adventure.
Features and Benefits
651cc Four-stroke Single
- Revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance
- New intake porting offers greater low-end torque
- New piston rings are thinner and have more tension, for improved oil consumption
- New one-piece exhaust pipe features smoother bends for improved exhaust efficiency at all rpm
- Special tuning to improve low- and mid-range power
- Light, silent cam chain reduces engine noise
- Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection
- New Denso radiator is thin and lightweight. Fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan, the new radiator has a greater cooling area and offers a 20% increase in cooling efficiency
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Automatic fan keeps things cool in all conditions
- Includes a temperature gauge
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Better breathing for more power at all rpm
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation
- The use of a secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque
Double Engine Balancer
- Engine runs smoothly from idle to redline for rider comfort and less fatigue on long rides Fully Transistorized Ignition
- Fully transistorized ignition unit replaces the earlier analog CDI for better ignition performance
- More precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Fewer moving parts for long, trouble-free life
- Designed to handle the engine’s unique power characteristics
- The engine’s broad torque curve only requires five speeds for off-road and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain reduces maintenance and increases chain service life
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
Revised Front Suspension
- New, beefier 41mm front fork is offers increased rigidity. (Previous unit was 38mm)
- Re-calibrated suspension offers less static sag and now offers greater on-road riding performance.
- Front suspension stroke was reduced from 9.1 in. to 7.9 in.
- Air-adjustable front forks
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
Revised UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
- Rear suspension travel was reduced from 8.1 in. to 7.3 in.
- New D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction
- Redesigned UNI-TRAK® linkage compliments front suspension changes
- Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
- Features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping
- New 4mm spokes (up from 3.5mm) provide increased wheel stiffness, enhanced handling performance and improved steering response. Semi-double Cradle Frame
- Made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Detachable Rear Subframe
- Simplifies maintenance by providing better access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor
- Large rear cargo rack included
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- New lightweight front and rear petal discs offer excellent braking.
- Front brake disc diameter increased from 260mm to 280mm.
- New rear calliper offers improved feel and power
- Easy and convenient starting
Lighting and USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor
- New dual-bulb headlamp offers greater night visibility
- New high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or under poor visibility conditions
- Rear taillight parking light
- U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Large 6.1-gallon Fuel Tank
- Significant capacity permits adventure touring
Additional Comfort and Touring Features
- All-new bodywork features a larger fairing, which contributes to increased wind protection
- New, easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame, contributing to lighter steering
- Full instrumentation includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Firmer urethane seat foam offers greater comfort for long-distance riding
- Seat height is lower, but reduced suspension sag means the rider’s ability to reach the ground is about the same
- Alternator output has been increased from 14.5A to 17A. Total capacity is 36W to provide ample power for the new headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Optional extended warranty
Available: Spring 2007