Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I know operating temps have been gone over and over here, and there’s a huge variance in them. At any rate, I need some help/advice. My brother bought an 07 ZX6R yesterday, and while riding home he overheated. Temp hit 241F. Shut it down and let it cool and topped off the coolant. Didn’t observe any leaks at the time. That was within 20 minutes of purchase. Rolled on and made it another 40 min before overheating again. This time was in traffic. Got it shut off around 230F. Temp light was flashing. Fan was running. He called me and I came and got him and the bike with my truck. He used less than half a quart of coolant, but there was a definite puddle under the bike when I got there. I’m thinking thermostat, but I need some ideas. Is there damage to engine Likely at those temps? Could the radiator have a hole/crack? I saw wet on the exhaust headers, and the inside of both fairings. It looks like it could’ve come from radiator, hit the fan and slung everywhere. I’ll be striping the bike this evening to get a better idea of leak. Just curious if anyone has any ideas why it would overheat while still having coolant in the bike. Sorry for the book. Just trying to be descriptive. Thanks y’all! FYI in North Texas and temps outside were mid 80’s yesterday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like your Brother has purchased someone else's problem Bike.
Fan should cycle around 217F, When the over temp light flashes your running way to hot and should kill the Engine immediately which I assume you did from your post.
Despite the Fan running if the Bike is suffering from a number of issues it won't manage to cool the system no matter how long it runs.
Some candidates:-

Stuck Thermostat.
Head gasket blown.
Coolant leak from Rad, A Hose, Housing, Water Pump.
Valve timing (Unlikely)
Air Leak.
Faulty Radiator Cap

Engine damage may have already occurred depending on how long the Bike has been overheating before your Brother purchased it.
Was it a Dealer sale ? If so it needs to go back before you start work as it should be warranted.
If not then remove the side fairings, Clean up any and all coolant residue, Top up coolant system and run the Bike up to 217F whilst watching for signs of a leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KevA,
Thank you for a quick reply! It was a private sale and of course dude won’t answer the phone. Seller had it for four months. Sounds like the bike is just getting handed off without anyone trying to fix it. Lol. Oil is good. No sign of water, so I’m hoping HG is ok. If I pressure test the system will that eliminate the radiator cap? Assuming of course the pressure holds? I did hear a little metal on metal at the bottom of bike but not loud. It seems to run good. I’ll clean it and do the check. Thank you! I will update tomorrow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most pressure test kits attach at the point the Rad cap is located so although it will test the system the Cap will need to be tested separately.
If you don't have a cap tester is probably cheaper to just purchase a new Rad Cap.
Testing for Combustion Gases in the Coolant system can be done simply using a Cumbustion Leak Tester and they can be had in 2 different flavors Electronic unit or Liquid tester for not a great deal of $'s

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KevA, good deal! Being older, it’s prolly a good idea to swap caps anyways. I’ll get one coming. What does testing for gases do? Sorry. Noob question. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice!! I have one in my cart now. As soon as my brother gives me the ok I’ll grab that too. Thank you for you help KevA!!

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you strider! So I took the cap off and let the bike run up to op temp. Watched the flow and verified that the thermostat was working right. It opened and suck the radiator dry. I shut off the bike and topped off the radiator and the reservoir. Ran it again and worked all the bubbles out. Haven’t overheated sense. However, once the fairs were off I saw a small oil leak coming from the valve cover. Quick phone call to a buddy who works at a bike shop showed a recall. So the bike is at the shop now getting that fixed. I have boxes of stuff to put on once it’s back at my house. So far though it seems as though the system just needed to fart. If anything else creeps up I will let y’all know.
Also, I am replacing most of those hoses while at the shop. The oil got all over a lot of them. Plus doing a full flush and oil change. New chain, new sprocket. It’s going to be a dang good bike once I’m done. Just wish he hadn’t known all this prior to buying the bike. Lol. Thanks y’all for the help!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts