Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 zx6r with 748 miles on it 600mil check up was just dont on it yesterday. Pcked the bike up and road it to work.

Well on the way home from work my bike died on a major Highway....I was doing 80 mph and all of a sudden my bike just started to sound like shit...as if the engine was falling apart. Left it on the side of the road, went and got my truck and took it right to the dealers. Ill let you know what i hear

Man this sucks ass

·
Registered
236 Posts
That Sucks?keep Us Posted?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That does suck. I'd bet big money the dealer fucked something up when they serviced it.

I dropped my bike off for a valve lash adjustment and when I came to pick it up the service guy is like "Have you been riding that bike really hard or something?"

"No, why do you ask?"

"Because it's blowing lots of blue smoke"

"Ah it wasn't blowing blue smoke when I brought it in!"

"Hmmmm, maybe a little oil got in the cylinder when they were tuning it up. It will probably burn off."

I drive it home and it looks like I flying a goddamn sky writer. I took it back and it turns out that one of the little metal tubes that goes between the head and the valve cover was left out and the clean air system was sucking oil into the exhaust.

5 years later they did the same thing on a different bike only this time I guess they figured they had lost it on the shop floor and replaced it when in fact it had fallen into the head an when I was trying to pass a car a few days later it got between the cam chain and the cam sprocket and broke the chain with disastrous results. Needed some new pistons, all new top end. It was covered under warranty but I was with out the bike for half the summer.

Needless to say I avoid dealer mechanics whenever possible.

At least its under warranty what ever is wrong.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's hard to find a worthy mechanic these days, especially at a dealer!!!!!! Fuckers...... I don't trust them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Now I haven't told you guys this yet, but I got my "first" '07 ZX6R in March, took it easy and was making this "louder" tick,tick, than the current one. Took it in and they said it was normal. Well, 370km (250miles) and the engine almost disintegrated. When they stripped, they found one main bearing cap lying in the sump with NO bolts, never installed, needless to say, it stuuffed everything.

The Kawa importers in SA promptly replaced the bike! I think they have an assembly problem at the factory!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dude, I really hope you get it sorted.... Just be glad it happened now, and not after two years when your guarantee runs out....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Search up any bike online and you're bound to find people with problems. It's inevitable. Why? Because people don't go online and say, "Well, my bike DIDN'T blow up today." Know what I mean? :)

lpcoolee - they have a 2 yr warranty standard in the UK? We only get 1 yr in the US.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, here in South Africa we also have standard two year warranty!!! Some comfort hey!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hell, mine died yesturday. Same ticking noise. The dealer looked at it and said that they could not find anything wrong with it. I picked it up drove it home and was on my way to the beach and got stuck on the side of the highway yesturday with a seized engine. I reported it directly to Kawasaki Consumer and got a call this morning. (They most likely didn't like me say I would not be recommending Kawasaki to the 4 Carriers in Norfolk) They will be talking with the dealer directly. If yours is making a ticking noise don't take "I don't know" for an answer. You don't want to end up pushing a bike on the highway in 97 degree sun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That does suck. I'd bet big money the dealer fucked something up when they serviced it.

Needless to say I avoid dealer mechanics whenever possible.

At least its under warranty what ever is wrong.
+1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is my post from the other thread this should help.

I have spoken to kawi USA and they did confirm that their are defective valves/top ends on some of the 2007 ZX-6R.

Kawi is not issuing a tech bulletin nor is their a recall.

The only way for your dealer to find this info is for them to call the dealer only tech line and ask for help with the loud valve train issue.

There are also posts on other forums of 2007 motor blowing and talk of a class action law suite.

At the minimum Kawi should issue the dealers a tech bulletin.

Sorry that's all the info I have as Kawi was very tight lipped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got my bike in newport news, 30 miles from norfolk, oh shit i think i got one from the bad batch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an update about the 07 ZX6R's. Some have a defective intake cam and buckets, something to do with the metal not being strong enough. There are new part numbers for these. If you have a loud ticking noise and the shop can't find the problem tell them to call the tech line to Kawasaki so you can get it fixed ASAP. You don't want to have to wait through a top and bottom end rebuild like I am doing now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have an update about the 07 ZX6R's. Some have a defective intake cam and buckets, something to do with the metal not being strong enough. There are new part numbers for these. If you have a loud ticking noise and the shop can't find the problem tell them to call the tech line to Kawasaki so you can get it fixed ASAP. You don't want to have to wait through a top and bottom end rebuild like I am doing now.
VIN breakpoints?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shit man i would make Kaw give you a new engine....when my shit the bed they wanted to rebuild that shit....no way man you are paying for a new bike and a new bike is what you should have...not some rebuild

Get a new engine

and how many miles did you have on it when it went down???

·
Registered
6 Posts
It had only 2100 miles on it. 2 1/2 months old. They refuse to give me a new engine saying Kawasaki said they can rebuild it and that is what the warrenty is for.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The new intake cam part # is 49118-0114. The new Shim Buckets (caps) part # is 12032-0010. The intake cam ships into the US the 1st week of Aug. That would be week 5 for my bike being out of use just sitting at the dealer. When I talked to Kawasaki they replied that there have been others like mine that were like mine ( Complete engine f.u.b.a.r. ) And they don't see a reason to tarnish there name on a newly released bike by doing a recall or any type of advisory. I will be going to the news station about all of this and see if they want to help us out. Will let you know more when I have it.

The new intake cam part # is 49118-0114. The new Shim Buckets (caps) part # is 12032-0010. The intake cam ships into the US the 1st week of Aug. That would be week 5 for my bike being out of use just sitting at the dealer. When I talked to Kawasaki they replied that there have been others like mine that were like mine ( Complete engine f.u.b.a.r. ) And they don't see a reason to tarnish there name on a newly released bike by doing a recall or any type of advisory. I will be going to the news station about all of this and see if they want to help us out. Will let you know more when I have it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts