Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have had my bike for about three months a couple weeks ago i noticed a lil bia oil on my left fairing so i took it back to the dealership

they checked it out and told me that some of my valves were all fucked up and my head gasket was blown so that was two weeks ago..........

i went in there the other day to see progress and there WAS NONE!!!!
they told me that there waiting for a valve cover gasket and its backordered
so i have to wait for it to get shipped from japan...
anywhere from three days to four months
this is complete bullshit

anyone else w/ this problem
or have any advise as to what i should do?
thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
Get a lawyer if they try to charge you for any of this. It should all be covered under warranty. As far as waiting goes I'm afraid your gonna have to suck it up. Parts comming from overseas take for ever. My ship has god damn british engines in it and it takes for ever to get even simple things like gaskets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
so i have had my bike for about three months a couple weeks ago i noticed a lil bia oil on my left fairing so i took it back to the dealership

they checked it out and told me that some of my valves were all fucked up and my head gasket was blown so that was two weeks ago..........

i went in there the other day to see progress and there WAS NONE!!!!
they told me that there waiting for a valve cover gasket and its backordered
so i have to wait for it to get shipped from japan...
anywhere from three days to four months
this is complete bullshit

anyone else w/ this problem
or have any advise as to what i should do?
thanks
We have the same problem here but we put a little bit of liquid gasket in the front of gasket where is camshaft position sensor.Belive me it works.:clap
Dont belive everything what they say.:rant

·
Registered
330 Posts
Register your complaints with Kawasaki head office; customer service or whatever too. They may be able to expedite something for your dealer (or at least kick his arse a bit) :thefinger

·
Registered
294 Posts
Could these problems be caused by improper break-in? I`ve got friends that get a new bike, and immediately ride it like they stole it! Just asking?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
im having the same problem. my part is on back order too. they told me the bike was ok to ride untill the part comes. does that sound right to anyone?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Replacing that part will not solve that problem.It is the same part.:rant
Are this machanic knows what his doing.
Im sorry but they are stupid.:headscratch

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah my valve cover was leakin it took me like 3 weeks to get the gasket it was on backorder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
me too, how much of a pain is it to get liquid gasket to the valve cover area, im a car mechanic and dont feel like waiting for the run around to fix it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sorry to hear that sht ..my 05 636 stills run like a champ got 17,000 ml on her not a single problem ...thank god

·
Registered
494 Posts
Get a lawyer if they try to charge you for any of this. It should all be covered under warranty.
Seriously dude, shutup. You've got no idea what you're talking about, or how warranty works. Whether it should be covered under warranty or not has nothing to do with the shop, and are you really going to try to sue Kawi-America over a gasket? It'll cost you more in lawyer fees then to replace the gasket. And no offense, but if you come in threatening to sue my shop over something that small you're going to get fucked over hardcore. I'll find a million and one reasons it shouldn't be covered. Be nice, explain your situation and above all be polite and I'll bend over backwards for you.

me too, how much of a pain is it to get liquid gasket to the valve cover area, im a car mechanic and dont feel like waiting for the run around to fix it
Takes about 5 hours work to get in there, lay down the liquid gasket, then button it all back up. And that didn't even manage to solve my oil leak! Fuuuuuck. I'm waiting for a new gasket myself...

Gotta pull:
Tank
Air box
Pair System
Throttle Bodies
Ignition Units

Amoungst other things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Takes about 5 hours work to get in there, lay down the liquid gasket, then button it all back up. And that didn't even manage to solve my oil leak! Fuuuuuck. I'm waiting for a new gasket myself...
you think im better off taking it to the dealer? I mean i can do it, but what gasket maker did u use? im gonna be using rtv high temp max oil resistance which in autos has never let me down.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sev, do you really want to tell us that those kind of things (oil leaks, gaskets, valve problems????) are not covered under the warranty?????

Luckily I stay in South Africa. Here we usually have no problems getting those things sorted under warranty, although I had big problems with one dealer with bad service, but here we quickly boicot those dealers and they go down!!!!!!

If I buy a new bike, it should not have oil leaks, problems with head gaskets and valve problems.

If you chose to be a Kawa agent, part of your responsibility is to sort out your customer's problems and claim any expenses back from your Kawa headquarters / importers!!!

You have just lost a couple of potential clients!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sev, do you really want to tell us that those kind of things (oil leaks, gaskets, valve problems????) are not covered under the warranty?????

Luckily I stay in South Africa. Here we usually have no problems getting those things sorted under warranty, although I had big problems with one dealer with bad service, but here we quickly boicot those dealers and they go down!!!!!!

If I buy a new bike, it should not have oil leaks, problems with head gaskets and valve problems.

If you chose to be a Kawa agent, part of your responsibility is to sort out your customer's problems and claim any expenses back from your Kawa headquarters / importers!!!

I agree. If I owned a dealership and had a someone with a problem that they should not be having, I would be more understanding. To tell someone that they just spent thier hard earned money on a bike that now they can't ride for a couple of months because of something like this is just crazy. I know that all bikes companies have problems at times and some bikes do also. If I heard my dealer or mechanic talk to someone like Sev just did, I would not ever take my bike to him. If you expect people to be happy go lucky smiles and go into your shop with pearly whites showing and dancing around after they just found out that there is no more riding weather left and the will just have to wait for parts when they should not be having trouble in the first place. Nuts! Besides.. to say that you will find reasons to keep it off the warrenty is in bad taste... All bikers will agree.. If your angry or feel offended dont make the riders suffer even more by treating them like shit dude.. that is just not cool.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. If you come in with a lawyer yelling and screaming about how it should be covered under warranty when the dealership itself has NO final say in whether it's covered or not is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's literally all up to Kawasaki, not the dealer. All the dealer can do is ask Kawi to cover it. They can try to call in favours, or ask for help. But the final say is NOT up to the dealer...

So, if you come in with a lawyer after me. I'll find a million reasons why it shouldn't be covered.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have really tried to restrain myself from your comments to everybody, not only on this thread, but all other threads where you are very quick to tell people they talk bullshit and they are stupid!

First of all, from all of your posts, it is very clear that you are not the owner off the dealership, because you know nothing about good business practise.

Secondly, I doubt it very much that you are a qualified mechanic, probably a secondhand parts salesman or you have heard of someone that is! (5 hours for lifting the headcover and replacing?? Should let someone teach you to use tools!!)

A good dealership owner will not waste a clients time by letting him wait for weeks to get approval from the importers for such a small problem as an oilleak, but will fix it immediately. Thereby he can be assured of good referrals from that client and will sell at least three more bikes, making up a lot more in those sales than the cost of fixing the problem plus the chance of loosing that client with the others that he talk to. I personally cost my "bad" dealer at least four sales that I know of for someting even simpler than an oil leak!!!!

Maybe we should inform your dealership principle about the clients that you are going to cost him!!

But then on the other hand, he probably has the monopoly in that area and care less than you!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm gonna have to side with SEV on the warranty issue. What does anyone think they are going to accomplish by trying to bully their way into getting something. I was a Sales Mgr in Retail for many years (not anymore!!) and when someone came in and presented a case in a nice manner, I was very motivated to help them. When someone came in thinking they were going to get their way no matter what,,,,,,, well lets just say they didn't end up getting their way, especially with product warranties. We were just the store front and if the manufacturer said "no" then we said "no". very simple.

So people, please, if you have a warranty issue or possible warranty issue, try to kill your dealer with kindness and hopefully they will return the same favor and pull a string or two if it ever becomes necessary.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have really tried to restrain myself from your comments to everybody, not only on this thread, but all other threads where you are very quick to tell people they talk bullshit and they are stupid!

First of all, from all of your posts, it is very clear that you are not the owner off the dealership, because you know nothing about good business practise.

Secondly, I doubt it very much that you are a qualified mechanic, probably a secondhand parts salesman or you have heard of someone that is! (5 hours for lifting the headcover and replacing?? Should let someone teach you to use tools!!)

A good dealership owner will not waste a clients time by letting him wait for weeks to get approval from the importers for such a small problem as an oilleak, but will fix it immediately. Thereby he can be assured of good referrals from that client and will sell at least three more bikes, making up a lot more in those sales than the cost of fixing the problem plus the chance of loosing that client with the others that he talk to. I personally cost my "bad" dealer at least four sales that I know of for someting even simpler than an oil leak!!!!

Maybe we should inform your dealership principle about the clients that you are going to cost him!!

But then on the other hand, he probably has the monopoly in that area and care less than you!!
Lets get a couple of things clear:
1) I never said I owned a dealership
2) I never said anything about importers... I'm not sure WHERE that came from
3) I never said that this particular problem shouldn't be covered under warranty

You're right, I've got no idea how to turn a wrench... I'd challenge you do to the same but it's much easier to sit behind your computer and make assumptions like that. Hell, I thought it would be easy my first time too. Pop the seat off then the tank, pull out the airbox then pop the cam cover off. Easy-peasy.

Until you realize you need extra long allens to get the airbox off (trip to the store) then there's the fact you need to carefully remove the throttle bodies. Which in turn dictates that you should be blocking off the intakes. The amount of space you have to work in to loosen the throttle body boots is miniscule at best. But I hope you brought your ball end allen keys.

After that it's relatively simple - flat rate for the entire procedure is 3.5 hours for an experienced mechanic who has done it before. That being said you'll find that 4-5 hours really isn't that unreasonable. Of course... you do all your own work so you know better right?

Everyone UNDER-estimates the amount of time it'll take to get a job done. They all ASSUME that it's easy to do based on their vast experience. Nothing is funnier to me then the customer who says, "it's a 10 minute job." Yes mr. customer... it'll take 10 minutes too find that electrical short. If it's that easy shouldn't you be doing it?"

As for me personally, you're right I'm not a journeyman mechanic. I'm still trying to get some hours in before I challenge my red seal exam. I'm currently work as a service writer at my dealership (which is competing with and doing well against 3 other kawi dealerships within a 20 minute drive). Which is honestly the toughest, and most stressful job I've ever had. Which is part of the reason I jumped on you. I'm sorry about that Dave, today wasn't a good day and I took it out on you. You didn't deserve that though it wasn't funny even if you thought it was. Because I've got to constantly deal with people who are in a bad mood because their stuff is broken. I've got to constantly deal with people who want to fight against spending any more money then they have too. I have to deal with assumptions like the one you made up there. I have to deal with customers who don't understand just how much actual work goes into the job that they're paying to have done. All too often I'm billing out 1-2 hours for a job that my techs spent 4 or 5 hours doing! And no, I'm not perfect at it, if I hesitate at all, if I'm even a little unsure I get jumped on. Maybe that's why I'm so quick to jump back, but the vast majority of the time when someone tells me it's a "warranty" problem the reality is that if they'd done actual regular maintenance then they wouldn't have a problem with their unit.

In fact just last week I had a guy blow up the top end on his 3 year old quad... for the second time. He was still on extended warranty, but I told him that it's possible he might not be covered because he'd never had a service done at the shop (no maintenance history at all) he told me that he did all his own services. Well... he'd never done the valves... so his cam chain ended up skipping a tooth and blowing up the top end. During the tear down we found out that the coolant was mostly water (badly degreaded) I happened to mention that too him during a conversation and he told me that he'd never touched the coolant. I had to explain that coolant breaks down given enough time... I didn't mention that he should have had the coolant changed about 3 times since he had the quad. You probably don't even see my point here... but that's okay.

And what happens if Kawi says they aren't going to pay for it? It's my job to eat a $400 bill to fix a problem that I didn't cause? NO, it's NOT! Like said above, it should be covered... especially this early in the life of the unit. But, it's not the fault of the dealership if the manufacturer doesn't pay for it. And ultimately, all the service dept of a bike shop is... is the dept that fixes your bike. But it's pretty apparent you don't REALLY understand how warranty works. Kawi doesn't just provide a bottomless fund that we can work out of. Everything needs to be documented - the problem, cause of the problem, resolution, parts used, time spent, and unit history. At that point Kawi decides if they believe they should be paying for it. And if they say no, then someone else has too. In some cases the shop will eat part or all of the cost, but not always - and a lot of that depends on how the customer acts.

You're also correct that it's good practice to solve the problem as quickly as possible. And in a case like this where it's likely warranty (and we have parts in stock) it's typically explained to the customer that we'll be doing the work and applying for warranty as it needs to be fixed either way.

I'll then get in contact with Kawi-warranty and explain the situation then hope that they'll cover it. If not there's nothing I can really do, if the customer has been polite or I should say not abusive I'll ask again typically citing a good service history because like you said it's good to keep the reputation of the shop up. But if you come in yelling about how you're going to get your lawyer involved all I'm going to do is hand you Kawi's phone number and invite you to take it up with them. Ask you to pay your bill and offer to reimburse you should Kawi decide to cover it.

Of course, Kawi is going to call me and ask what I think about the situation, and I'm just going to tell them I don't think it's warrantable. I have no interest in serving a customer who thinks that flying off the handle and threatening legal action will get him free service.

At the end of the day I didn't make the bike, I didn't cause it to leak, but I did get it fixed... and someone has to pay for that.

AGAIN, BECAUSE YOU DON'T SEEM TO BE READING WHAT I'M WRITING. IF YOU COME IN WITH A LAWYER, OR MAKING ACCUSATIONS, I'M NOT GOING TO BE HELPFUL. If you come in and explain your problem, if you've been a good customer I'm going to bend over backwards to help you out. But the bottom line is, that the dealer just sells the unit, they have no control over what is and what is not warranty.

And for the record seals are covered from anywhere from 30-90 days under warranty depending on which seal after which they are considered to be a wear item. Cases of abuse such as riding in excessively sandy conditions, lack of maintenance etc will void that warranty as well.

Again, I honestly believe that this cam cover should be replaced under warranty. In fact I'm trying to get it for my own bike. But if it doesn't end up being covered then I'm not going to try to sue my dealership.

It's the last resort of a consumer with no ground to stand on to say that he "cost the dealership sales." As chances are very good that the 4 people who didn't buy their bikes from him weren't going to buy bikes there anyways. And besides that, said consumer will never go back... until the other kawi dealership pisses them off. Then they'll show up again. I've seen people come back as quickly as 2 weeks after they've sworn they'll never be back. *shrug*

1 - 20 of 53 Posts