Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Who will be the 2007 MotoGP Champion??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2007 MotoGP is about to begin and I expect the trash talking to happen as well...

With the first race of the season coming up soon, I ask:

Will Nicky Hayden repeat?
Will Rossi beat Hayden proving his critics right or wrong?

Who is the X Factor? Who will emerge and surprise us all?

Make your predictions of who will win. The poll will close after the 3rd Round of the MotoGP races, so choose now and we can see at the end of the season if you were right or wrong!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Rossi is the man to beat especially after his & Yamaha's performance in pre-season testing.

For the first time since they entered MotoGP I think Kawasaki will be a real factor. I think the management changes have refocussed them in a positive way. Analysis of the final session in Jerez shows De Puniet about .25 to .5 sec off the race pace of the front duo & on a par with Edwards & Hayden times. Most significant is that they are getting close to the front & they must be lagging behind in development. De Puniet could spring some surprises this season.

·
Registered
38 Posts
other hoopkins

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rossi still has to be the rider to beat. IMHO the question of who will be champion hangs on many other factors besides outright rider talent, maybe more this year than in 2 or 3 years past.

Which tire manufacturer will the win the tire technology season with the new 800cc engine management characteristics? (Bridgestone has improved greatly but Michelin has a historic edge)

Which 800cc engine will prove most reliable and ridable? (Probably the one with the biggest R&D budget and Honda was the manufacturer that pushed hardest for the smaller cc engine)

Which team/manufacturer can adapt to the added stress of developing the new 800cc while engaged in a race season (Only Honda and Yamaha really)

Lastly which rider stay healthy the entire season? All the top riders suffered at least one major get off last year, Capirossi losing the most points wise to injury, with Pedrosa and Hayden both riding under severe injury conditions to maintain their points. All it takes is one bad DNF followed by a round or two of scoring no points to take you completely out of the championship.

Should be exciting and down to the wire this year! Go NICKY!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Great start to the season

Great ride from Stoner, he is up there with the best when he manages to stay on. I get the feeling that last years package (team/bike) did not suit him. He kept his head even with intense pressure from Rossi today. Well done Ducati as well. Makes the season more interesting when there are more than a couple of bikes/riders capable of winning. Pedrosa was not far away & Hopper would have been on the podium if he had not been riding injured I'm sure. Kawasaki still have a lot of work to do to feature in a race, though they tested well at Jerez.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lots of variables this year, 800cc engine, tire compound, etc. which translates into "equalizers". I don't think anyone in particular has an overwhelming advantage. Should be a great year to watch. :mfclap

·
Registered
266 Posts
Great ride from Stoner, he is up there with the best when he manages to stay on. I get the feeling that last years package (team/bike) did not suit him. He kept his head even with intense pressure from Rossi today.
Wow, have to agree 110%. I kept thinking Stoner was going to push too hard with the pressure from Rossi on him the whole race ('cause Stoner sure wiped out a LOT in his first GP season last year). But yeah, the Duc was set up perfectly for him apparently. And the power! Holy shit, every time Rossi grabbed it from him he just took it away on the straight; with not much (apparent) effort!

Yamaha engineers better work their butts off to grab some extra power out of that thing.

But I have to agree with what most are saying... Rossi is still the man to beat. Don't get me wrong, Hayden is a hell of a rider, but to most Rossi is still the man. If anyone can ride their machine to the edge (and beyond) it's The Doctor. But serious, serious kudos to Stoner for not jacking it up ... even with Rossi putting on the serious mind-game pressure on Stoner (who had to of been feeling it in his mind most of the race) he nevertheless kept it together for a GREAT season opener!

/.02

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well,well,well, After the first couple of races it has become apparent that this year is going to turn out the most interesting of all!!!! There are just too many (luckily for us) riders that suddenly feature well. I have to backtrack my words in the other tread and say that this year it is wide open and Rossi (although I also regard him as the best rider) is going to face the toughest competition of his life!!!
I have to take my hat off to John Hopkins for the way he performed injured!!! I doubt if there is anyone more determined than him after his last performance!! Incredible man!!!!!
Then there is Stoner, Capirossi, Melandri,Pedrosa etc.etc.etc.that are all hungry!!! Man, this is going to be a great year for MotoGP!!!! (Think back to Rainey,Schwanz, Gardner, etc.!!!) Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts