Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I looked around the site and I could not find anything that really hit my situation. I was out riding a little while back, and while doing so my bike starting dying. I was giving it throttle, yet it was not giving itself gas. I would rev the throttle multiple times until the revs got high enough that it would go until I let them fall back down. It got harder and harder to get the revs up until the bike stalled out and died. I tried turning it on, and while it was cranking, it would not turn over. I assumed it to be a fuel issue because my gas tank was totally full, and there was no knocking like if a piston was not firing due to bad spark. I have since taken the bike apart and looked at the fuel filter and sparks directly. The sparks were a little rough, but definitely still in operating conditions, and the fuel filter was disgusting. I have replaced the filter and gotten everything back together, yet it still will not start. Any recommendations? I am so lost at this point.

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,875 Posts
Hey, I looked around the site and I could not find anything that really hit my situation. I was out riding a little while back, and while doing so my bike starting dying. I was giving it throttle, yet it was not giving itself gas. I would rev the throttle multiple times until the revs got high enough that it would go until I let them fall back down. It got harder and harder to get the revs up until the bike stalled out and died. I tried turning it on, and while it was cranking, it would not turn over. I assumed it to be a fuel issue because my gas tank was totally full, and there was no knocking like if a piston was not firing due to bad spark. I have since taken the bike apart and looked at the fuel filter and sparks directly. The sparks were a little rough, but definitely still in operating conditions, and the fuel filter was disgusting. I have replaced the filter and gotten everything back together, yet it still will not start. Any recommendations? I am so lost at this point.
Check fuel pump and fuel pump relay. You may need to clean carbs since fuel filter was dirty.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Where would that relay be, and is it as simple as a fuse, or more complicated?
Under the seat. Cube shaped with a red connector.

It gets a signal from one of the coils (usually a red wire). Then it sends that signal to the pump. You can jump the connections on the harness side with key on engine off until you hear the pump turn on. That'll confirm if the pump is working and the relay possibly being bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Under the seat. Cube shaped with a red connector.

It gets a signal from one of the coils (usually a red wire). Then it sends that signal to the pump. You can jump the connections on the harness side with key on engine off until you hear the pump turn on. That'll confirm if the pump is working and the relay possibly being bad.
The relay seemed to be ok, but I just pulled the whole pump off the bike and tested it. I connected a battery to it directly and had the inlet hose sitting in a cup of gas. When I connected the terminals though, nothing happened. I am assuming that means I have a bad pump? Could it have burned itself out with the gunked up filter?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
The relay seemed to be ok, but I just pulled the whole pump off the bike and tested it. I connected a battery to it directly and had the inlet hose sitting in a cup of gas. When I connected the terminals though, nothing happened. I am assuming that means I have a bad pump? Could it have burned itself out with the gunked up filter?
Aw, bummer. Time for a new pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts