Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the ECU free mod on the 07? (with the little wire or whatever)
is it a noticeable difference??
can the dealer see you did this from the bikes computer??

my luck id blow my bike up and it wouldnt be covered cause of that.

thanks guys.

*should have my bike this week! im torn between the green and black. I just think the black one looks so sick with green rim stripes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you do the ecu mod?
sorry for not explaining, i thought alot of people knew about this.

i gues the american models exhaust valves close at around 13,500rpms due to noise restrictions. By the valves closing your lossing power. (The european models dont do this)
I guess there is a capped plug under the seat and you use a jumper wire on 2 of the terminals and i guess that bypasses the american configuration and resets the ecu to the european default setting. I know people have done it on older models but i havent heard of anyone on a 07 trying/doing it.

anyone have any input??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, it works on the 2007's. We did it to a friend of mines and it worked like a charm. Just do a search for the jumper mod in these forums and it should bring something up about which wires it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it works on the 2007's. We did it to a friend of mines and it worked like a charm. Just do a search for the jumper mod in these forums and it should bring something up about which wires it is.
im aware of how to do it. i was wondering if it will void your warranty or if the dealer would be able to tell you did it from the bikes computer read out.
was it a noticeable diference on your buddys bike? why havent you done it to your bike?

·
Registered
275 Posts
im aware of how to do it. i was wondering if it will void your warranty or if the dealer would be able to tell you did it from the bikes computer read out.
was it a noticeable diference on your buddys bike? why havent you done it to your bike?
yes it can void you warranty, I havent done it because i need to get a few more miles to get my 600 mile maintanence done. Once that is done ill probably do it

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just unhooked the wires that close the valve....i dont think they could tell if you did that because if something was to happen you can hook them back up...the wires still move to open and close the valve but since its not hooked up the valve stays open...

btw it made a little difference in the top end...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, like Tommyboy said, you can just unhook the cables at the valve itself and the valve will stay open all the time. It actually improves the performance through the whole rev range, as the valve actually closes a little bit under acceleration as well.

I have disconnected mine now about 1000km ago and there is absolutely no ill-effects at all! Also done a slight mod to my rear exhaust box and this thing is now breathing much better!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, very noticeable difference on the top end... I havent done it to mine because the Two Brothers slip on I have gets rid of the exhaust valve altogether.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, like Tommyboy said, you can just unhook the cables at the valve itself and the valve will stay open all the time. It actually improves the performance through the whole rev range, as the valve actually closes a little bit under acceleration as well.

I have disconnected mine now about 1000km ago and there is absolutely no ill-effects at all! Also done a slight mod to my rear exhaust box and this thing is now breathing much better!
To me this sounds like a better alternative than jumping the ECU. Any negative effects w/the cables bouncing around back there? Or the valve closing completely off when there is no resistance holding it open?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I beleive the jumper setting also adjusts timing and such to compensate for this because it actually sets the ecu to the euro map (not just valve open/close) and its not much harder to pull the jumper out if you need to take it in for service. There is a noticable difference througout the rev range but especially after 10,5

·
Registered
37 Posts
To me this sounds like a better alternative than jumping the ECU. Any negative effects w/the cables bouncing around back there? Or the valve closing completely off when there is no resistance holding it open?
nope i just stuck them back into the box so it looks like they are still hooked up...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I beleive the jumper setting also adjusts timing and such to compensate for this because it actually sets the ecu to the euro map (not just valve open/close) and its not much harder to pull the jumper out if you need to take it in for service. There is a noticable difference througout the rev range but especially after 10,5
Good call! i never thought of that! So yea it probably is best to do the jumper

·
Registered
29 Posts
Adjusts the timing? Would this help my bike, even though the slip on got rid of the valve?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adjusts the timing? Would this help my bike, even though the slip on got rid of the valve?
Yea maybe you should do the jumper. Even tho you eliminated the valve your ECU is still set to the American program. I think youd have to do the jumper to get on the Euro program.

A power comander is what you really want! you can order it with the software pre programed that matches your bike setup. exhaust, filter, etc... You just tell them what you have done to your bike and they program it for you. You can do it yourself also, i think its only like 5 extra bucks to have it pre programed

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just installed a small piece of 16 gauge wire (black/yellow & green/green) to complete the jumper mod. Question...i cut about a strong 1/4" on each end of the wire and left the middle insulated. Is that enough wire on each of the two points to make a proper connection?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
as long as you got metal touching metal (wire touching the metal in the clip) your all good!

you notice any diff in performance??

·
Registered
264 Posts
as long as you got metal touching metal (wire touching the metal in the clip) your all good!

you notice any diff in performance??
It was starting to get dark and I couldn't see the metal clip inside. I assumed it was right at the top covered by plastic. I was going to check it w/a meter but the mosquitoes where almost carrying me away. I opted for a seat of the pants feel. I'm a believer! There is a real difference. Where the bike felt like it would drop off, now it pulls right into redline with ease.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts