Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 862 Posts

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
Well rod get back down here and ill help ya out when I can.... hell I may have a sweet project to match it...

·
Registered
864 Posts
signed up, but one problem i see is that with the plane you chose, it will be pretty hard to capture the caracteristics and get them on the bike...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Can't wait to see the progress rod. Keep us updated. I'm glad your throwing some pinup in there.

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
Cool Rod. I especially like the rivets. Looks like a lot of airbrush work. Have you done some of that already? A buddy of mine just took a class on it. Says it's actually easier than it looks.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well rod get back down here and ill help ya out when I can.... hell I may have a sweet project to match it...
Hi , Buddy! The bike is here in MN so the build will have to take place here. Remember I've got a good running bike in NC, I just have to wait to get my people (family) organized so I can go down to Fayetteville.
Bottom line is... I don't know how to get this bike to Fayetteville yet! :headscratch

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
signed up, but one problem i see is that with the plane you chose, it will be pretty hard to capture the caracteristics and get them on the bike...
Yes! I think it's difficult to make it look like any airplane. Not like a dude walks down the street and says... hey look an F-22 ZX6!!! :crazyloco obvious looking bike.

I'm not going to ad on cheesy things like phony silly wings or something like that!

With the F22 I was considering the paint scheme; like metallic panels of various forms etc.

Remember I'm making this up as I go!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't wait to see the progress rod. Keep us updated. I'm glad your throwing some pinup in there.
Sure thing! Besides I need the opinion and help from all of you guys!
I've been talking about this build in this forum for over a year now, almost since the time I signed up. Well... Here it goes; I've got the time and the bike to do it now!

Cool Rod. I especially like the rivets. Looks like a lot of airbrush work. Have you done some of that already? A buddy of mine just took a class on it. Says it's actually easier than it looks.
Thanks Riley!
The rivets and the panel lines are the most important part of the paint scheme as they give the bike the "aircraft look".
I've never done anything like this before, I've painted the frame of my old ZX-6D twice and my airbrush experience is coming from years of plastic aircraft modeling, let's see if I can apply that to a real 1/1 scale bike!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
I saw a theme bike on Orange County Choppers once where They mounted 50 caliber bullets on it to look like the missiles hanging off the bottom of the wings. It was kinda cool on the chopper, but may fall into the catagory of cheesy you were talking about. I only mention it because you said you were looking for ideas.:dunno

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
and my airbrush experience is coming from years of plastic aircraft modeling, let's see if I can apply that to a real 1/1 scale bike!
I have seen some of the pics of your models:clap. I think you'll do fine:thumbup

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a theme bike on Orange County Choppers once where They mounted 50 caliber bullets on it to look like the missiles hanging off the bottom of the wings. It was kinda cool on the chopper, but may fall into the catagory of cheesy you were talking about. I only mention it because you said you were looking for ideas.:dunno

I accept any ideas, I was considering placing small "sidewinder" heat seeking missiles in scale on the sides of the lower fairing, haven't discarded the idea yet.
Other could be "cheesy" things are a rear solo seat cowl with an air brake built in to it, like the one on the spine of the F-15, And remodeling the instrument panel of the bike to incorporate aircraft instruments (in scale). After all we do call that part of the bike a cockpit :dunno You can find that term even in motorcycle magazines.

I have seen some of the pics of your models:clap. I think you'll do fine:thumbup

Thanks, I hope so!

·
Premium Member
5,923 Posts
... I was considering placing small "sidewinder" heat seeking missiles in scale on the sides of the lower fairing, haven't discarded the idea yet...
Even cooler if they had some tiny LEDs in them and actually worked as supplemental turn signals.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cockpit idea:

I just cut the instruments out of an old magazine and taped them there.
If the idea is used I'll make them as functional and real looking as possible!

·
Most likely to get banned
982 Posts
Well rod I have a crew cab truck and a ramp/ bed extender and tie downs.... Plus I can get my old mans utility trailer.... So I don't think gettin the bike back down here will be much of a problem

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Rod I just wanted to throw this at ya. As an army guy myself the A10 Warthog has always been my favorite aircraft. Probably because I'm a tanker and it is a anti tank bamf. I looked these up, just some more ideas.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Shoot, they came out kinda small.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well rod I have a crew cab truck and a ramp/ bed extender and tie downs.... Plus I can get my old mans utility trailer.... So I don't think gettin the bike back down here will be much of a problem
Thanks, BigRuss! I think I could accept your offer. it would be a long ride though! I wold pay for all expenses of course! :thumbup

I was thinking of the possibility of "flying" the bike down to NC (riding it). With a little patience, and stopping along the way, maybe a three or four day ride!

Rod I just wanted to throw this at ya. As an army guy myself the A10 Warthog has always been my favorite aircraft. Probably because I'm a tanker and it is a anti tank bamf. I looked these up, just some more ideas.

Thanks! The A-10 is truly awesome! Even more now that the "Charley" model is out. Paint scheme would be easy as it's FS36375 gray with FS36720 Gray shade. Then again it's the same paint on the F-15C /F-18 etc.
The shark mouth is interesting, but I'm not sure yet where to paint it or if it should have it or not.

Shoot, they came out kinda small.
They're OK, buddy, thanks!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yea I was looking at your plastics and i think I can see it but I don't have a photo editor and I am not very good at explaining stuff. I'll try... If you went from the bottom spoiler up between the first cutout have the corner of the mouth end at the Bottomost section of the top cutout and then forward to just above the bolts that connect upper and lower fairings. If that made sense great if not my appologies, my head hurts just writing it. Hahah. Whatever you do I'm sure it will be awesome.

1 - 20 of 862 Posts