Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first bike a couple months ago and everything has been running fine until about a week ago. I was riding on the highway and my bike started stuttering then my RPM meter dropped straight down to 0 as I was holding down the throttle and then my engine shut off. I’ve noticed that when riding if I keep it in between 4-5k RPM it doesn’t seem to happen, but when I try pushing it at least past 6k it’ll start to sputter, and when it does I gently release the throttle or downshift and it won’t stall. When it happens I notice that my oil pressure light will come on and I’ve seen the FI light come on once or twice, I have no idea what it could be as I’m new to riding a motorcycle and don’t know a whole lot about it. My gas tank is pretty rusted which obviously isn’t a good sign, and I’m unsure if this has anything to do with it.Also me and a buddy of mine just changed my oil today and on my way home (45 min. Drive) it did the same and stalled out in the middle of the street as I was about to pull up to my apartment complex.
If anybody has ever had a similar issue or knows anything about this, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the oil pressure light only come on after the engine stalled? If you are seeing the oil pressure light while the engine is running that is not a good sign, I would not ride the bike at all like that.

Have you pulled the FI light code? I'd start there, very easy to do, I'll link a video on it below.

My first thought is that it's being starved of fuel at those higher RPMs, assuming the oil pressure light is not coming on while the engine is running. Could be clogged injectors, bad fuel, clogged up fuel pump screen thing the 636s have, that's pretty common on that bike especially with a rusted fuel tank, I'll link a video on that as well.

05-06 636s are also notorious for the ECU overheating due to it being right above the exhaust in the tail. When this happens from my understanding the bike will just shut off and wont turn back on until it cools. If your issue only happens when the bike is very hot that could possibly be the culprit. However from your description it doesn't really sound like it.

Pull codes:

Clean fuel pump screen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the oil pressure light only come on after the engine stalled? If you are seeing the oil pressure light while the engine is running that is not a good sign, I would not ride the bike at all like that.

Have you pulled the FI light code? I'd start there, very easy to do, I'll link a video on it below.

My first thought is that it's being starved of fuel at those higher RPMs, assuming the oil pressure light is not coming on while the engine is running. Could be clogged injectors, bad fuel, clogged up fuel pump screen thing the 636s have, that's pretty common on that bike especially with a rusted fuel tank, I'll link a video on that as well.

05-06 636s are also notorious for the ECU overheating due to it being right above the exhaust in the tail. When this happens from my understanding the bike will just shut off and wont turn back on until it cools. If your issue only happens when the bike is very hot that could possibly be the culprit. However from your description it doesn't really sound like it.

Pull codes:

Clean fuel pump screen:
The oil light only comes on when the engine is about to shut itself off. Sometimes the bike will start up 5 min after it stalls, but last night it took me about 20 min of wait time before it would start back up. I also thought it could be some sort of fuel injector problem so I bought some fuel injector cleaner, but I’ve yet to use it. I heard it could mess your spark plugs up after running that stuff through your tank what do you think? And I have also heard about the ECU problem, but you’re right it doesn’t seem as if that’s the case to me who knows though I could be wrong. I’ll start by pulling the FI light like you said and go from there, thanks for the quick response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts