Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the stock Ohlins steering dampener on my 2006 ZX-10R, determining where in the 18 clicks I need to have it set at. As I was feeling it, I realized that when all 18 clicks are used, you can definitely feel the Ohlins is doing its job - much tighter than with no clicks on it.

But I dont think the steering dampener is as strong as other Ohlins I have felt. For example, a 1999 Ducati 996S in my garage has an Ohlins steering dampener and when maxed out, it is at least twice as stiff - the handlebars will barely move.

So today, I rode down to the local Ducati dealership, went to look at the 999R and 749R which have the Ohlins steering dampener, and same thing - it allowed much less play than this 10R steering dampener.

So what's the deal....has anyone else noticed this? Is this a full Ohlins or something else?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Beans I just road my freinds 06 today. The Ohlins doesn't work well at all. I still got some head shake out of it. Other then that the bike absolutely ROCKS. I am giving some heavy thought about trading up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Ohlins On the 2006 is the real deal its 18 click adjustable and works as good if not better than any aftermarket one. As for the feel the Zx10r has a really light steering input. But as for quality its the best available.

Kawi

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and maxed out all 18 clicks on my damper and have been riding non-stop like that and I dont notice any difference. I'm thinking some different fluid in there may make things change, but I'll wait for the winter to figure that out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Whilst im not in doubt that the Ohlins on the 10 is a pukka Ohlins version, i am in doubt as to whether it has the full range of adjustability that a non OEM damper has

I raced for 3 years in F600 in the UK and had an Ohlins steering damper on my 600RR and when that was turned to the max, you could hardly turn the bars :D

I can feel very little (if any) difference between the highest and lowest setting on the 10. I think as has been mentioned, a heavier oil should do the trick. Im gonna try this.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Apparently if you put a heavier oil in you must be careful of the seals in the damper as they then get more pressure on them. This is something that was told to me by a racer who managed to get oil to push out one. I dont know how true it is but hey maybe or maybe not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whilst im not in doubt that the Ohlins on the 10 is a pukka Ohlins version, i am in doubt as to whether it has the full range of adjustability that a non OEM damper has

I raced for 3 years in F600 in the UK and had an Ohlins steering damper on my 600RR and when that was turned to the max, you could hardly turn the bars :D

I can feel very little (if any) difference between the highest and lowest setting on the 10. I think as has been mentioned, a heavier oil should do the trick. Im gonna try this.
Yes, you are right.
The OEM one's is different with the one for for retail (the needle jet is hallowed for KAWASAKI)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, you are riught.
The OEM one's is different with the one for for retail (the needle jet is hallowed for KAWASAKI)
Hmmmm, interesting so effectivley what you are suggesting is that if i got a needle jet from a non OEM damper, that would solve the problem?

Personally i would like to wind it up stiffer than i can get it at the moment??

Thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
its B+, there are better dampners out there

·
Registered
515 Posts
yeah, do the oil trick first, its a cheap and easy try... otherwise if you got the dough, get a scotts or gpr. You really need a good damper, you never can tell when you're front end will hit a wicked slap. I have my gpr set at 4.5 ( range is 1-8 ) on the track, and on nearly every lap at a certain corner it gets a hit pretty good coming out of a the corner, the gpr catches it of course but the first jolt is pretty stiff..... without a good damper, i'd be on the ground..... so its kinda like a helmet, you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet... same goes for the damper.....ok, i'll shut up now...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting so effectivley what you are suggesting is that if i got a needle jet from a non OEM damper, that would solve the problem?

Personally i would like to wind it up stiffer than i can get it at the moment??

Thoughts?

Cheers
Sure Man,

I had modified the OEM one with the non OEM jet needle and refill with ELF moto 5w(only) sysnthese, now the steering is rock solid at the last 3 clicks form fully close.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sure Man,

I had modified the OEM one with the non OEM jet needle and refill with ELF moto 5w(only) sysnthese, now the steering is rock solid at the last 3 clicks form fully close.
Yes it works!

I got my steering damper back from local Ohlins importer where it was fitted with standard (SD169) jet needle. 12-13 cliks from open to closed seems to work well on track. Allthough there was a small foot note that Ohlins is not responsible if mounting brackets in the frame will break loose.

Funny... I guess that if that happens there will be a few more loose parts too ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes it works!

I got my steering damper back from local Ohlins importer where it was fitted with standard (SD169) jet needle. 12-13 cliks from open to closed seems to work well on track. Allthough there was a small foot note that Ohlins is not responsible if mounting brackets in the frame will break loose.

Funny... I guess that if that happens there will be a few more loose parts too ;)
Anybody got pics or how-to on this. Also, where can I get needles for this?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I dunno about the states, but in the UK, Ohlins wont sell bit like that seperately, all down to health and saftey, so, i reckon im gonna have to get mine "serviced" somewhere?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dunno about the states, but in the UK, Ohlins wont sell bit like that seperately, all down to health and saftey, so, i reckon im gonna have to get mine "serviced" somewhere?
Ask Harris -performance to re-condition the steering damper and change the jet needle at the same time

1 - 20 of 41 Posts