Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a second hand 2006 Ninja 250. The bike ran great for about two weeks (other than an occasional issue cranking which I repaired by replacing the starter motor) until a few days after I changed the oil. After this the bike would have trouble starting even with the choke and would die after 5-10 minutes. Since then I have overhauled the carbs, replaced the fuel line from the carb to petcock, emptied and cleaned the gas tank, replaced the inline fuel filter, and cleaned the airbox and air filter. My most recent fix, overhauling the carb, made it so I can start the bike without choke, but it will only start when starter fluid is sprayed into the carb through the air box or occasionally when the clutch is engaged, kickstand up, and is in first gear. In addition to this the bike still dies after riding a few minutes. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
ChaseS

·
Registered
782 Posts
The first thing I would do is determine whether or not the issue is electrical or fuel delivery.
With the kickstand down, clutch not pulled in, and in neutral, Pull a plug wire and place a spare spark plug in the wire. Ground the wire to the head and confirm fat blue spark.
If you test multiple times that there is fat blue spark with all of the safety lockout systems operating, move on to fuel delivery.
Keep in mind, although you feel you have cleaned the carbs properly, you may still have some issues there.

Couple of clues; Bike only starts on choke; pilot circuit clogged
Bike intermittently starts with clutch pulled in; clutch safety switch.
Sounds like it could be a combination of safety lockout issues combines with fuel delivery.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing I would do is determine whether or not the issue is electrical or fuel delivery.
With the kickstand down, clutch not pulled in, and in neutral, Pull a plug wire and place a spare spark plug in the wire. Ground the wire to the head and confirm fat blue spark.
If you test multiple times that there is fat blue spark with all of the safety lockout systems operating, move on to fuel delivery.
Keep in mind, although you feel you have cleaned the carbs properly, you may still have some issues there.

Couple of clues; Bike only starts on choke; pilot circuit clogged
Bike intermittently starts with clutch pulled in; clutch safety switch.
Sounds like it could be a combination of safety lockout issues combines with fuel delivery.
Keep us posted.
Wow well you were totally right about the clutch safety switch. Bike won't start in gear regardless of kickstand or clutch position, only while in neutral. I haven't had a chance to check the spark due to the rain, but I will tomorrow.

·
Administrator
58,545 Posts
Ya you have a couple different issues going on.
Sounds like mace got you in the right direction for safety features
I'm a bit confused though
You overhauled carbs and can start without choke but you need starting fluid
What happens when you use the choke?
Sounds like something else is still plugged in carb
Did you pull out all jets?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow well you were totally right about the clutch safety switch. Bike won't start in gear regardless of kickstand or clutch position, only while in neutral. I haven't had a chance to check the spark due to the rain, but I will tomorrow.
Ya you have a couple different issues going on.
Sounds like mace got you in the right direction for safety features
I'm a bit confused though
You overhauled carbs and can start without choke but you need starting fluid
What happens when you use the choke?
Sounds like something else is still plugged in carb
Did you pull out all jets?
Thanks for yalls help. I cleaned the clutch safety switch and than tested the spark in each of the possible positions and a spark was visible every time, although I wouldn't describe it as blue (not sure if thats an issue of its own).
I just finished checking the plugs and they were covered in carbon I attached a photo. I replaced them with correctly gapped new plugs. I checked the petcock and when I sucked on the end of the vacation tube gas flows fine. I did notice that when I put my finger over the vacuum tube coming out of the carb and cranked the engine that the suction felt sporadic. I was only able to get the bike started for a short while after I covered the petcock vacuum tube coming from the carb with my finger and cranked the engine. This makes me think that the bike is possible running rich? What do yall think.

In addition to this open the throttle seems to be the only way to make a difference in cranking. I ran out of starter fluid the other day and haven't been able to check if that would still impact anything. Also regardless of the position of the choke there doesn't seem to be any impact on starting now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for yalls help. I cleaned the clutch safety switch and than tested the spark in each of the possible positions and a spark was visible every time, although I wouldn't describe it as blue (not sure if thats an issue of its own).
I just finished checking the plugs and they were covered in carbon I attached a photo. I replaced them with correctly gapped new plugs. I checked the petcock and when I sucked on the end of the vacation tube gas flows fine. I did notice that when I put my finger over the vacuum tube coming out of the carb and cranked the engine that the suction felt sporadic. I was only able to get the bike started for a short while after I covered the petcock vacuum tube coming from the carb with my finger and cranked the engine. This makes me think that the bike is possible running rich? What do yall think.

In addition to this open the throttle seems to be the only way to make a difference in cranking. I ran out of starter fluid the other day and haven't been able to check if that would still impact anything. Also regardless of the position of the choke there doesn't seem to be any impact on starting now.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would pull the carbs off and start from scratch just to be sure everything is decent.

It sounds like youre running rich.

But check your idle screw and throttle cables first.

If you are riding and you're off throttle with incorrect idle system you have no air. So that could be a start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts