Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone i just got a 2005 zx6r 2 months ago. Ive been riding it around and no problem i went to do a coolant flush because i wasnt sure how well previous owner maintained it. When i flushed the coolant i pulled of the hose from the radiator to the water pump, if youre sitting on the bike it is on the left side. Ever since when I get to 8k rpms when warm i will see coolant on my inner part on my shoe and also it will drop 3-8 drops off coolant in my garage after sitting after ride. I tightened radiator hose clamps to no success and also got a new radiator hose because the old one was mushroomed out on the end. It still currently drips in the belly fairing and on my left shoe on high rpms new to the forums thank you in advance.

·
Registered
‘83 Gpz750 Resto-mod, ‘78 Kz1000 Resto-mod, ‘18 Z900RS
123 Posts
Are you sure it’s not coming from the water pump weep hole? It’s possible that the seal is going bad in the pump. I have no idea the correlation between the engine speed and the leakage though.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
‘83 Gpz750 Resto-mod, ‘78 Kz1000 Resto-mod, ‘18 Z900RS
123 Posts
how do you know which one you need?
You’ll need the mechanical seal for sure and will most likely damage the oil seal trying to remove the mechanical seal. The O-ring seals the two halves of the pump housing. It’s probably fine to reuse but for $12-15 why chance it.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,875 Posts
You’ll need the mechanical seal for sure and will most likely damage the oil seal trying to remove the mechanical seal. The O-ring seals the two halves of the pump housing. It’s probably fine to reuse but for $12-15 why chance it.

Later, Doug
Reusing seals has made me do the job twice. I vote for new seal.

·
Registered
80,81 GS750L, 81 XS1100, 85 FJ1100, 96 GPZ11 (1200 EFI PROJECT), 03 VT11, 06 VT600, 12 ZX14R, 67 C20
151 Posts
Before u fire a volley from the parts cannon, u need to finger out where the leaks coming from. Or have a swollen bank account. if u cant manage to find it w ur peepers, try removing the lower fairings where its dripping, ride it just enough to know its gonna leak, then park it over top of a clean piece of cardboard. Then search w.o moving it. The cardboard will tell u where its dripping off the vehicle. Then u can trace it back to the problem.. in theory. U can also try some UV dye and a blacklight too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i already received all the parts that is a good idea ill check tonight on my ride home from work but it almost looks like oil but is coolant but coolant and oil hasnt mixed in the in the case and its just leaking on the bottom hose from the radiator to water pump

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
If you are certain that it is leaking at the hose you have replaced, then I would suspect that the pipe it fits over is corroded/ dirty/ distorted. Clean this to ensure a good seal. Make sure the hose is not twisted slightly as well. This will cause a leak. Also, are you using proper clamps? Don’t recommend generic gear clamps. Use the OEM style clamps made for coolant hoses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay so i was wrong its leaking oil not antifreeze because it was by the waterpump i assumed it was antifreeze and it is not its oil and it appears to be coming out of the weep hole i have ordered the mechanical seal, oil seal, and waterpump gasket and drained both fluids im now trying to remove the water i have the bolts off but its doesnt just pull off thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i put on the mechanical seal, oil seal, and new gasket and torqued everything to spec, went for a ride got it up to temp and got on it some and just a couple drops of antifreeze on the garage floor since lastnight i apologize for the confusion it was oil because my oil level was low. It has new coolant and new oil and filter as well running really good im thinking maybe just hose clamp is a bit loose or didnt snug up the hoses but its overall major improvement from 5-10 drops of oil and spraying on my leg at +60mph to 3 drops of antifreeze sitting all night so im happy. i will try to find the antifreeze drippage though thanks for all replies

1 - 13 of 13 Posts