Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does the oil light coming on cause the bike to cut off? It is a 2005 zx6r 636. Any help would be appreciated.

Another question is that it runs for about 10 minutes then cuts out. The oil pressure when it cut off was 8 psi at idle. I had an oil pressure tester on it to test. After about an hour and a half it will restart no problems. Could this be the ecu problem commonly known with this bike.

Thanks again for looking and any help appreciated.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Does the oil light coming on cause the bike to cut off? It is a 2005 zx6r 636. Any help would be appreciated.

Another question is that it runs for about 10 minutes then cuts out. The oil pressure when it cut off was 8 psi at idle. I had an oil pressure tester on it to test. After about an hour and a half it will restart no problems. Could this be the ecu problem commonly known with this bike.

Thanks again for looking and any help appreciated.

I found no where in the manual that the bike shuts off if oil pressure is low.

Here are some possibilities from the manual.

Oil Pressure Warning Light Goes On:
Engine oil pump damaged
Engine oil screen clogged
Engine oil filter clogged
Engine oil level too low
Engine oil viscosity too low
Camshaft bearing worn
Crankshaft bearing worn
Oil pressure switch damaged
Wiring faulty
Relief valve stuck open

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found no where in the manual that the bike shuts off if oil pressure is low.

Here are some possibilities from the manual.

Oil Pressure Warning Light Goes On:
Engine oil pump damaged
Engine oil screen clogged
Engine oil filter clogged
Engine oil level too low
Engine oil viscosity too low
Camshaft bearing worn
Crankshaft bearing worn
Oil pressure switch damaged
Wiring faulty
Relief valve stuck open
Ok thanks, all the bearings are new and new oil pump, strainer, relieve valve and pick up tube. Do you have any input on the ecu cutting engine off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
does the oil light come on just as it cuts off? If so wouldnt that just be one of the lights on with the key being on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the oil light come on just as it cuts off? If so wouldnt that just be one of the lights on with the key being on?
No, the light does not come on before dying. It dies first then comes on as if the key was just turned before starting. Will restart but have to open the throttle and there is oil pressure. It has aftermarket exhaust and no power commander. I am hoping it is the ecu as I have a voltmeter hooked up as well and shows battery voltage around the time it dies.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No, the light does not come on before dying. It dies first then comes on as if the key was just turned before starting. Will restart but have to open the throttle and there is oil pressure. It has aftermarket exhaust and no power commander. I am hoping it is the ecu as I have a voltmeter hooked up as well and shows battery voltage around the time it dies.

The oil light should come on when the bike shuts off, as there is no oil pressure and the oil light should take a second to turn off when the bike is started because pressure has to build.

The fact that you have only 8psi at idle is way low and it means there is a problem with the lubrication system; it should be 19-23psi.

Just because things are new doesn't mean they cannot be broken. Did you check the clearances for the bearings? have you actually checked to make sure the relief valve is working?

Easiest way to check the ecu is to find someone with the same bike and plug theirs in so you don't have to buy a new ecu.

I think you have bigger problems than an ecu.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil light should come on when the bike shuts off, as there is no oil pressure and the oil light should take a second to turn off when the bike is started because pressure has to build.

The fact that you have only 8psi at idle is way low and it means there is a problem with the lubrication system; it should be 19-23psi.

Just because things are new doesn't mean they cannot be broken. Did you check the clearances for the bearings? have you actually checked to make sure the relief valve is working?

Easiest way to check the ecu is to find someone with the same bike and plug theirs in so you don't have to buy a new ecu.

it has around 21 psi @ 4,000 rpm which is what the manual says should be.

I think you have bigger problems than an ecu.
thanks for info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts