Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving up and looking at the 14's but have found a 2005 zx12r with 10,000 miles for sale.
I was wondering if i should keep saving to get a newer zx14 or save about $2,000 and get the 12r. I'm wondering if the zx12r would be a good bike to get?
Is the 12 rider comfort close to the 14?

I know the 12r does not get the best fuel mileage, just going to ride around town and some shorter trips, not going to ride 200+ mile trips.
Just wondering if i should wait and get the 14 so if i want to go on longer trips, i would be more comfortable. I'm 42 and 6' 2" and 210 lb.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Two entirely different bikes, IMHO.

I would say that the "comfort" of the 12 is nowhere near that of a 14, nor is the range......and FYI, we're about the same height/weight and age. I own a ZX-11 and my next bike will be a 14R, most likely the end of this summer or in the winter, still keeping my 11 in my stable.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
Two entirely different bikes, IMHO.

I would say that the "comfort" of the 12 is nowhere near that of a 14, nor is the range......and FYI, we're about the same height/weight and age. I own a ZX-11 and my next bike will be a 14R, most likely the end of this summer or in the winter, still keeping my 11 in my stable.
Actually the 12R and the 14 are more similar than you might think. The main ergonomic difference is the seat. Bar-to-peg relationship is about the same. Neither is a fuel miser. Chassis are very similar; you can bolt a 14 motor right into a 12R frame, they are that close.

If the looks are a push, I'd say go with whichever one fits your purpose better. Due to the seat and the slightly shorter wheelbase, the 12R leans a little more to the sporty side of things. The 14R is even a bit longer than the first-gen 14s due to a longer swingarm.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Hammerhead - they may very well be...........I have not been up close and personal with a 12R......only a 14!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Hammerhead - they may very well be...........I have not been up close and personal with a 12R......only a 14!
12s are beautiful bikes in their own right.

And having seen a 12 and a 14 side by side, hammerhead is not too far off the mark. The biggest difference is that the 14 is way more refined in general.

Not that the 12 isnt a serious piece of hardware, but given the choice... I would buy the 14.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
I've always thought the 12R was the most beautiful sportbike ever made. Still do. If I thought there was a way to swap the BWII's bodywork for that of a 12R, I'd be in the garage right now stripping plastic panels and converting brackets. I think I'd keep the 14's seat, though.

·
16,062 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the 12's looks,
But, this is by far, the nicest one I've ever seen. Subtle and tasteful changes.
But, looks like a completely different bike.

I'll play. My 2002 ZX12r with a few add-ons:

Mods:

Auctmarts custom gloss black fairings
Memphis shades gradient black or clear windscreen
CF tank inlay
CF front fender
CF hugger
CF clutch and stator covers
CF clip on tubes
CF exhaust hanger
CF preload adjusters
CF countershaft sprocket "cover"
CF heel guards
CF yoke guard
CF ram air covers
CF tank protector
CF lower tank covers
Mototeck undertail
LED innovations taillight
Lightech teardrop CF mirrors
05 12r swingarm
Brembo RCS clutch lever w/ 09 R1 perch
Brembo 19RCS master cylinder
ABM billet brake reservoir
Nissin 6 piston calipers w/ Ferodo CP211 pads
Spiegler SS brake lines
Brembo Superbike fully-floating rotors
Braking rear wave rotor
Vortex sprockets
Yellowbox
Marchesini forged wheels
Powdercoated pegs/rearsets
Custom Seat Creations seat covers
Rizoma billet sportline grips
Rizoma Bar Ends
Mini LED flushmounts
Gilles chain adjusters
Gilles Ti rear axle nut
Akrapovic race system with hex canister
PC3R
BMC Race filters
Bear mixed-length velocity stacks (purple)
Kleen & Pilot jet mods
Magnetic drain plug
1/5 turn throttle
Front axle slider
Scott’s steering damper w/large adjuster knob
Racetech fork overhaul (TiN coating, G2-R 25mm cartridge kit, Ohlins oil)
09 ZX14 rear shock with Racetech spring
Samco hoses
Cox radiator guard
Dino passenger seat hinge
Mavryk A123 Battery
Custom “Zumina” black-chrome/chrome gauge faces
I've owned it since 06 and it's an excellent street bike. Fast, stable, comfortable, and unique.
Before (day I purchased it, September of 06) and After (two weeks ago)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a nice looking 12R.

I have always like the 12R's look, but i think i will be happier with the 14. I dont want to get the 12R and then be unhappy with it in 3 or 4 months.
I am going to Texas in April for the nascar race and there is a dealer there that has a 12 and a 14. I will slip over there and sit on them both and walk around them to see which one i like better. :thumbup

12s are beautiful bikes in their own right.

And having seen a 12 and a 14 side by side, hammerhead is not too far off the mark. The biggest difference is that the 14 is way more refined in general.

Not that the 12 isnt a serious piece of hardware, but given the choice... I would buy the 14.
I think i know what your saying. Its kinda hard to explain but i think the 12R is a bold, rough around the edge's sportbike, where as the 14 is more subtle, where did that come from sportbike.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I remember that 12R awhile back.
IMO, that is still one of the best bikes ever to grace the pages of this forum since I've been here these 6 short years.

·
16,062 Posts
a dealer there that has a 12 and a 14. I will slip over there and sit on them both and walk around them to see which one i like better. :thumbup
That's the best possible scenario for comparison.
Both bikes there at once, side by side.
Even better if they let you take them both for a quick test flight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the best possible scenario for comparison.
Both bikes there at once, side by side.
Even better if they let you take them both for a quick test flight.
I was thinking the same thing about the test drive. I hope they will, going to bring my helmet just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts