Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this a not running bike and trying to go through it as thoroughly as feasible to resell it come spring. I did the plugs and rebuilt carbs, synced them...runs like a top. My question is it has like a slight chirping sound a little bit more noise than I would like that seems like clutch or trans. I know I am going to do the valves but on these engines at 28k miles should I i do the cam chain and tensioner pads? perhaps throw new manual cam chain tensioner on it? not sure what is the most likely to wear out first or a since I was in there replace this and this sort of thing? The bike sat outside and the chain was incredibly dirty so once I cleaned and lubed that I checked its alignment and it was obviously off.Obviously I need to have the meat and taters right before digging deeper on this noises. After loosening everything and trying to straighten things out I found that it looks as if the front and rear sprocket are on different planes and will never be perfect alignment. I also noticed that there is little to no gap between the chain and rear tire. I would be surprised if a bic pen would fit inbetween. whereas my baby, my zx7r has a solid finger and then some inbetween. IMO this kind of seems there should be a bit more clearance. The chain on it says 530MO EX , is this stock or aftermarket? I havent counted sprocket teeth and since this one had a dynojet jet kit in it I wouldnt be surprised if they regeared it...I looked in my 7r manual as I was curious if there was any engine alignment procedure but nothing that seemed fitting. Since I havent regeared anything before is there anything I should be looking for or can the front be shimmed? thanks again for any input from experienced wrenchers!!! I was able to get a pic of the clearance and no a normal pen with not slide inbetween. The pics I took with my crappy phone could not pick up the misaligned sprockets.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
"...the front and rear sprocket are on different planes..."

Can you estimate the approximate difference?

Real close like 1mm, 2mm, maybe shimmable at one sprocket or the other;

OR

way out of whack, like the swingarm is bent out to one side?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"...the front and rear sprocket are on different planes..."

Can you estimate the approximate difference?

Real close like 1mm, 2mm, maybe shimmable at one sprocket or the other;

OR

way out of whack, like the swingarm is bent out to one side?
I would like to guestimate but it is storming here tonight. This bike has not been down before but is there a place in particular that fails on the swingarm on the 9rs? Based on how I found the settings on the carbs I think someone didnt have a clue as to what they are doing installing certain basic things. I found the pilot screw settings completely different from one another and I dont have a clue as to what they were trying to do. I rode this to work and back twice now and it is smooth but some noise in lower gears.(150 miles) In regard to the sprockets..either the rear wheel has to change angle more than id think is correct or the engine angle...I have setup a ton of clutches on sleds and there is a slight angle difference that you set them up for expecting the engine under torque to move a certain way..not sure if this is true with bikes..I have a pic but you really have to look close to see the misalignment. It is either the misalignment at the rear sprocket or the front sprocket depending on how you align.. to get it close it seems the marks on the swingarm are getting way too dif to be correct, I have not measured yet but i think i need to... I found the settings that I thought were way off to begin with that the previous guy was splitting the error and not so bad in that dept.. even so I know the alignment isnt right. just trying to get a heads up on these things.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the pic looks like a bad alignment but trust me the error goes to one side or the other..

·
Registered
32 Posts
"...not sure if this is true with bikes..."
No, the sprockets should align.

A few ideas:
If the engine is properly bolted into the frame with the correct bolts and spacers, then the countershaft is automatically positioned correctly.
The sprocket may have an offset, and PO put it on backwards, but unlikely. It's also possible to mess up the spacers in the back wheel,
changing the plane of the rear sprocket. It's also possible to mess up the installation of the swingarm.

You said you distrust the PO, so you already know that you'll be checking everything using parts book and service manual to make sure everything is right.
I just rebuilt a high mileage Honda bike, similar problems, and I swear that the only pieces that were correctly installed were the ones the PO did not touch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts