Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hopefully not jumping bike from a running car?
I let it charge, but yes. My battery tender came up missing so another one will be here tomorrow. I have heard its a really good way to fry the starter fuse. I also have a jumper box but my kid unplugged it for her scooter and I felt obligated to post a vid this eve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK.
First off as Ninjanut inferred it's not advisable to jump from a running car, Main Fuse is not the issue as that's a straight swap out if it pops, The Big issue is the incompatibility of Bike & Car Charging systems and likely risk of frying the ECU.

Anyhoo onto the running in the last Video.
I saw right near the end just before you said "Go ahead and stop" you were unscrewing the idle adjuster which drop the idle speed but as it was so low the screw appeared to do nothing, It needs to screw in to raise the idle somewhere near 1,200 rpm, Don't worry to much about it being spot on at this point as the finale idle should be set when the Bike has the Airbox/Filter fitted and the engine is up to operating temp then set it to spec 1100 +/- 50 rpm.
Also make sure your Fuel delivery device is higher than the carbs, I know it's pump fed but I like to keep it above or at least level like it is when the Fuel tank is on.
The key is getting the Engine warmed up and settled down, Once your somewhere near you need to Balance the Carbs and this is quite important, Having all the carbs singing equally will make a big difference to idle and running.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OK.
First off as Ninjanut inferred it's not advisable to jump from a running car, Main Fuse is not the issue as that's a straight swap out if it pops, The Big issue is the incompatibility of Bike & Car Charging systems and likely risk of frying the ECU.
I wont let it happen again. I know the pitfalls. I was being lazy.

I will also try putting the air box on today and raising the external tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok so, I attempted to start her up after elevating the external gas tank and sealing on the air box. I had the battery tender on for 24 hrs. I attempted to start her up, with the tender still connected, annnnnnnd POP! Did I do what I said I wouldn't do? Is that as bad as starting it with a running civic? Did I over load it with the civic and hurt her wiring? WHAT HAAVE I DONE!!???!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

This is what happened tonight(The above stream of videos) Goodnight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your initial Video on attempting to start her sounded like a Completely flat Battery indicated by the Buzzing sound of the starter relay at the end, Considering it was on a Tender it doesn't appear to have much life in it.
A contributing factor may have been down to the Car's charging system trying to ram 70-100ah into that wee little 10ah Battery.
I would replace the Battery before moving forward. (With a good one) YTX12-BS
Now the Smoke is a concern (Yer no kidding you say) first off I would check for a poor connection in any wires around that location.
Do you still have Iights come on the dash with the Ignition switched on BUT not trying to crank the Engine ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Do you still have Iights come on the dash with the Ignition switched on BUT not trying to crank the Engine ?
that is exactly what I am getting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think you need a new Battery before we move forward..
No problem. I am going to let this one charge for 24+ Hours and then test the voltage. Check it every 2 hours or so. See if it depletes. It was a cheap AutoZone battery that I got a year ago. Will up date again soon.

Reactions: KevA

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
After 24 hours on the battery tender:

@8:30am with the battery tender still connected, 13.10 volts. I removed the battery tender and checked again, 13.08 volts. Leaving the battery disconnected from the tender now. I will check again in 2 hours.
@10:30am Battery has dropped in voltage from 13.08 to 12.90. I will keep the battery off the charger and post again in 2 hours.
@12:30pm Battery has dropped in voltage from 12.90 to 12.88, not much but some. I will keep the battery off the charger and post again in 2 hours
@6:30pm Battery has dropped in voltage from 12.88 to 12.86, not much but some. I will keep the battery off the charger and post again tomorrow.

This is from a different forum that I have been posting to. Just a bit of an update on what I did on the bike today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Battery is holding fine. There is no noise when I push the starter button now. Headlights work, I'm thinking I fried the starter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try Jumping the starter relay across that will tell you if the starter motor is suspect but remember wiring and connections to Starter need to be checked first.
To jump the relay use something that will take a fair bit of current and bridge the 2 large wires at the securing bolts and ignore the sparks lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So I has some time this afternoon and took the wires off the starter.
I snapped some pics, and used a voltage light to check the wires. Got no light from the connector or the power and ground for the starter. Electrical is damn near Chinese to me. Not my forte. I am unsure what I am supposed to check the voltage on and what it should be.

This is what I have as far as electrical testing equipment.

Feeling lost.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK.
I was slightly confused at first as you said you had tested the Starter Motor but had pictures of one Ignition Coil and wiring (Arrowed Red below)
So was this a mistake or did you think that was your Starter ?
The Meter you have will do fine for any testing that needs to be done.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts