Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now that my bike is running nice and smooth, I decided to ride around my little yard a bit just to make sure that everything is good to go. So I pull the clutch in, kick it into first(lurched forward a bit but it wasn't extreme so I didn't think much of it) and find the friction zone and let her roll nice and slow. Everything is perfectly fine up to this point so I pull back under my carport and leave the bike running and try to put it into neutral and it won't go. It won't change gears at all. I keep the clutch pulled in and roll forward and backward trying to put it into neutral and nothing(did this for about 20 minutes with laps around the yard in between). Is something wrong or is this how it's supposed work? Doesn't seem logical to me that a bike won't go into neutral while running. So I turn the bike off and try to put it into neutral and bam, it clicks into neutral like nothing was wrong. :banghead Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen? This has happened 2 nights in a row now that I've been messing with the bike in the yard. Waiting on new tires before I put it on the street and I'd like to have this fixed if it's an issue.

Mind you, I'm not mechanically dumb, I can do some work. I am an audio installer and network tech so I can find my way around wiring and what not but I'm also new to motorcycles so I may need a hand with some things.

Thanks for any and all help in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing fully with the clutch lever pulled.

Check the condition of the clutch hydraulic fluid, it may need topped off or freshened up and bled.

Beyond that is more labor intensive repairs i.e. clutch slave etc.

Josh

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing fully with the clutch lever pulled.

Check the condition of the clutch hydraulic fluid, it may need topped off or freshened up and bled.

Beyond that is more labor intensive repairs i.e. clutch slave etc.

Josh
Ok, I'll do that as soon as I get home tonight, thanks!

How do I bleed the clutch? Do I just open the fill cap and sqeeze the clutch in and out?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never mind, I found a how to online. I almost forgot the best tool out there, google!:tard Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
There is a bleeder on the clutch slave and you bleed the system more or less just like brakes.

Josh

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I flushed the clutch fluid since it was almost completely black and put new fluid in the bled the clutch. Everything went smooth and without a hitch. Got on the bike, started it up and kicked it into gear. Didn't lurch as bad as it used to but it still won't go from first to neutral without either cutting the bike off or push it it 4 or 5 feet with my foot constantly tapping to get into neutral. Stuck plates? Need new clutch? What do y'all think? If the plates are stuck, what can I do to unstick them without opening up the bike?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts