Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd put this thread in the proper place. Over the weekend I scored a very nice 2002 ZX9R for well under $3k. The bike was completely unmolested and sports a Micron slip-on. Everything else was stock. I've always wanted one of these ever since 2002's Motorcyclist Magazine Article where Andrew Trevitt rode the wheels off of it. 16 years later, it's mine.

I ordered a few goodies for it before taking delivery.

Finally got her home.....

...and started going over the bike

....and as of this morning got the Dynojet Stage 1 kit, and BMC Race Filter installed. I also did the KLEEN Air mod.

Next I will be installing the Vortex Sprockets (15x42) and EK 520 chain. Then the steel braided lines and EBC pads. Dunlop Q4s should show up tomorrow.

The final touches will be RaceTech springs and valving for the forks.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love it.

What is the wet weight and HP on it stock?
haven't gotten to the dyno yet but stock is around 128hp. These things respond well to slip-ons/filter/jets and usually end up around 135hp or so. The wet weight is about 471.

Ditch the muffler, and go with a lightweight battery and you're at about 460lbs.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh hell yeah! Bravo my man. I always wanted one in that orange color and if I ever found a steal like you did, I would buy it up even tho I have my green 03. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh hell yeah! Bravo my man. I always wanted one in that orange color and if I ever found a steal like you did, I would buy it up even tho I have my green 03. Enjoy!
hahahaha thanks wheelz.

I installed the 520 chain last weekend. I hope to get to the oil/tires/pads/brake lines within the next few days.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Beautiful color . I remember Muzzy getting 160 hp out of one with stock internals and flat slides . my 98 made 133 on a dyno cbr600F2'S were making 72 ,so I don't think it was optimistic .

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful color . I remember Muzzy getting 160 hp out of one with stock internals and flat slides . my 98 made 133 on a dyno cbr600F2'S were making 72 ,so I don't think it was optimistic .
I think the 160hp came from the big bore kit. Anything 133hp and over is a healthy number for these.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With Muzzy out of business, does anyone still make a full system for this bike?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of threads down you will see someone is using a 2001 model Akra full system on a later model.
Ah cool. Guess I'll have to follow that thread. Thanks

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Turbo,

i would like to ask you to do same weight checks when you are exchanging your tires next time?

I am not aware what the diameters the axle of the F1 is. Rumors say at least for F2 that they have the same diameter as the ZX7 P/N. Also i have been told the F2 rims are a direct swap to the ZX-7 Rims. So i would like to know if this is right and if there is any difference in weight. Next rumor is that the brake discs ( at least front ) are lighter and interchangable with the ZX-7...

Would love to know if the rumors are tell the truth...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I never understand why people file the head down and push the pin out, its a dead chain just cut the thing off with the zip wheel, way faster :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I never understand why people file the head down and push the pin out, its a dead chain just cut the thing off with the zip wheel, way faster :)
....so as not to destroy the linkage since I used it (along with safety wire) to pull the new chain through for ease of installation. 0:)

thanks for watching the vids. :D

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Turbo,

i would like to ask you to do same weight checks when you are exchanging your tires next time?

I am not aware what the diameters the axle of the F1 is. Rumors say at least for F2 that they have the same diameter as the ZX7 P/N. Also i have been told the F2 rims are a direct swap to the ZX-7 Rims. So i would like to know if this is right and if there is any difference in weight. Next rumor is that the brake discs ( at least front ) are lighter and interchangable with the ZX-7...

Would love to know if the rumors are tell the truth...

Hi Klaus, I will need some time to get you some exact measurements.

However, just from looking at it, I don't believe the wheels are a direct swap. The axle is the same diameter but I'm not sure about the lengths (although that probably doesn't matter for the rear if its not too much.

The wheels are definitely lighter. I think the ZX7R rear wheel with sprocket carrier and tire was like 37lbs total. Heavy.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Oil change this weekend.

Bummed about this bike not being able to go GP shift without cutting the countershaft cover.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for the information. There is no need to hurry with this. But as you know: Only lost weight is good weight!

And if you can loose weight with oem parts it will be less expensive.
Also it should be easier to replace them if they get damaged while using...

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm switching over to the K&N because it has more filtration area.

The BMC was marketed as a Race Filter but with such a small filtration area I wonder how much horsepower it's robbing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm switching over to the K&N because it has more filtration area.
The BMC was marketed as a Race Filter but with such a small filtration area I wonder how much horsepower it's robbing.
Must admit I was thinking that. The standard filter when clean is just as good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts