Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and bought a 2002 zx7r about 3 months ago that sat for 2 years. It has 700K miles on it

New K&N air filter
New fuel pump and filter
Muzzy exhaust
Carbs/Jets were just cleaned and synched by the dealership
Plugs were remov4ed and cleaned but looked perfect

The problem I'm having which wasn't there before is that it bogs in first gear until it reaches about 3000RPMs. I checked for vaccumn leaks and found none. When I mean bogs I mean bogs like has stalled before even when its warmed up. Its so bad now that I can barely get it to go up a hill if I'm parked on a steep grade without winding out the clutch.

The funny part is that I was riding some twisties the other day and out of nowhere the power came back and it ran like a champ for another half hour. Stopped for a bite to eat and came back to find the same problem again.
Its not eating coolant and oil filter and oil are also brand new.

Does anyone know what the problem could be here I'm at my whits end on this one

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Do you know when the carbs were last serviced (cleaned and synched)?

Sometimes they say they cleaned them but really don't do anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were "cleaned and synched" last Friday. They said they replace 2 pilot jets and cleaned the main as it was Dirty. I was thinking the vaccumn valve may have went?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
They were "cleaned and synched" last Friday. They said they replace 2 pilot jets and cleaned the main as it was Dirty. I was thinking the vaccumn valve may have went?
You should take it back and have them fix it. It sounds like the jetting is not right.

My $0.02

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
sounds like your problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So heard back from the shop today and they said there is nothing wrong with the bike. Said that the carbs are all clean and synched properly and bike goes over 90mph. Told them that I never said it didnt go fast at top end, that it bogs in first gear...especially trying to go up a hill where it will literally stall and start smoking unless i clutch it all the way. The bike never ran like that and I have put over 3K miles on it in the last 3 months. I used to be able to get up and go and even have the front tire lift off the ground when I punched it. Now it will literally stall and sputter.

The power did come back twice this weekend but then went away again. He said oh it might not be the carbs then maybe electrical..

Here we go with the nonsense.

BTW the bike only has 7K miles on it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I get the bike back today and the thing doesnt even run! It stalls in first and floods to the point where i smell gas and it wont start back up...pops and cracks when im on the throttle and I almost dumped it going around a corner because it literally b ogged and bucked! What do I do besides going postal on this dealership guy?

Not to mention we are talking about taking off of work now too because they are only open during the hours that I'm working

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It sucks that you would have to pay out of pocket but if you go to Crossbay Honda Suzuki in Howard Beach they have an excellent mechanic who I'm sure will find the problem quickly. Let me know if you want the info and I'll PM you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Taking it back to Yamaha Honda in the morning and making him at least put it back to the way it was when I brought it in there in the first place. The sad part is you can tell noone even test road it before I picked it up because even a moron could figure out within 3 traffic lights that something was clearly wrong.

Went to Brooklyn Moto because a friend of mine races with one of the coowners and he rode it down to a stop sign and said jesus either get your $ back or make him fix it!

After this i'm either converting to fuel injection or taking carb classes over the winter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts