Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 zx6r carbbed not FI, bike is not getting spark I put new plugs in today, cr9e ngk, battery, syn oil change+filter, bike turns over like a bandit but no spark, tried bump starting it a dozen times, it is getting fuel

pulled the spark plug out and put it in the boot grounded it on the battery and turned bike over no spark on the plugs

please help me here
i also think it would help to note that i got a new cdi unit and new ignition because previouse key got lost.Does anybody know where i should start looking ?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,875 Posts
Did you replace the ignition switch with an OEM?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
No it was some cheap one off of eBay would that be why it ain’t running by chance ?
Usually, those cheap ignition switches are missing a resistor. I'd have to do some more digging to confirm what the resistor is rated for. I'm certain it's on these forums.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually, those cheap ignition switches are missing a resistor. I'd have to do some more digging to confirm what the resistor is rated for. I'm certain it's on these forums.
So what exactly does the resistor do and how would I add it to the ignition switch ? Also once i add the resistor how many volts should the ignition switch read when i turn the key on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
OEM; new at Partzilla=$191.25; used at EBAY=$$prices vary; used from member of this Forum=$$prices vary.

Note: please re-read Post #2 above, that was 4 days ago, no offence, just sayin'...

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
There is a resistor to drop the voltage to the CDI to 6v on the grey wire. If it lets 12v go to the CDI you will not get spark and the fuel pump will not activate.
Most cheap aftermarket ignitions do not have the resistor. OEM have them built in. Someone may correct me but I think it is a 100ohm resistor that is required.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OEM; new at Partzilla=$191.25; used at EBAY=$$prices vary; used from member of this Forum=$$prices vary.

Note: please re-read Post #2 above, that was 4 days ago, no offence, just sayin'...
I saw it late my bad but I’m going to get a new key for the oem ignition from a dealer they cut keys for cheap so I’ll update whenever I get the key

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Update got a oem ignition off of eBay and she runs like a charm thanks guys for the help :)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Update got a oem ignition off of eBay and she runs like a charm thanks guys for the help :)
We're glad you fixed it! Bet it brought that smile back when you rode it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts