Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

The I'm doing a tune up on the bike. I previously started another thread, and discussed a slight studder I had in all gears under light accelerating throttle at like 5000-5800 rpm. I broke it down thanks to you guys and decided that it was time for another jet cleaning. I figured since I was in there, I would do a

-carb sync
-new k and n air filter
-castrol 4T 10w50 oil change and bikemaster filter change
-new metzeler m3 sportec rear tire with balance
-lube the chain
-fork oil change, and POSSIBLY do the seals, although it looks slightly intimidating. I might just suck it up and do it all while the bike is under the knife, but I know it's going to take a while.

If you guys have any other suggestions for me, please poast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Flush your coolant and your brake lines. Lube your throttle and clutch cables. Lubing your cables can reduce pull resistance by as much as 10 pounds.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
so I pull the carbs and the jets were spotless. i cleaned them anyways with the wire cleaners, including the carbs themselves. sprayed it down with carb cleaner all over. should be all set.

anything else that I should do while I'm in there? I inspected all the fuel lines, they all look fine with no dry rot.

the carb sync is next

thanks guys.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. looks as if I cant do this without an auxilary fuel tank which is a major pain in the ass. i also need a new fuel line.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Plugs, distributor cap, wires, air, oil, and fuel filters are usually what I do for a tuneup.

Oh wait, this isn't a chevy forum.

(Tuneup sounds weird to me in relation to a bike for some reason)

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
hmm. looks as if I cant do this without an auxilary fuel tank which is a major pain in the ass. i also need a new fuel line.
I typically use a longer piece of hose, then set a towel over the tail and the tank over that. This may or may not work for your 6.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I typically use a longer piece of hose, then set a towel over the tail and the tank over that. This may or may not work for your 6.
thanks squidge. I was going to do that but the fuel line is playing mind games with me. the line that goes into the tank looks like it could be 7/16", and then becomes smaller at the fuel bulb at like 5/16." i don't think I can find a fuel line that is two different sizes on each end that will fit, and is long enough.

can you piece fuel lines together with fittings and will the bike run the same?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok now I need some help, squidge if you could chime in that would be great.

So i take off the carbs to clean them, just as I've done in the past. pulled them apart and did a standard jet cleaning with the wire tool even though they were spotless. I then sprayed them all with carb cleaner, and put them back together. done.

I put them on the bike, connect the throttle cables (still so sticky), vacuum lines, and then connect the fuel to the auxiliary fuel bottle so I do a carb sync with the MotionPro sync. The bike fires right up immediately, and now I'm feelin good. I let the bike warm up to about 200, and then shut it off. I hook hook the sync pro up to carb 1 so I can calibrate it. done. then I sync all the corresponding carbs. done

now I'm feelin real good. Bike sounded better with the sync. So I put the gas tank and seat back on and go for a ride. The bike seemed ok for the first half minute. then it started to run really irratically. bucking and whatnot, the throttle couldn't stay steady. It finally died on me, and I had to walk it home. shit

I get back, and pull everything apart just to make sure I didn't miss a hose or anything. I even hooked the SyncPro back up just to make sure the calibration was correct. I then checked the carbs again to make sure they were synced, and they were.

So I'm scratching my head here. I pulled the carbs to clean them, they were spotless,, put them back together, sync everything, and now the bike runs like shit. It runs like it has a back carb, and there were no signs previously that would indicate a bad carb. I simply syncd the bike because it had never been done and its 12 years old.....

any help from you guys? I'm down in the dumps

·
Registered
90 Posts
I gotta ask. Did you remember to turn the fuel back on? Have gas at all? Trace fuel flow in this order: tank, petcock, filter, and carb bowls.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also try opening up the gas cap and starting it up. If it starts and runs fine, you have a problem with your fuel tank vent

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes the fuel is back on. funny you mention that, because the first time i took it on a test drive, I forgot to turn it back on.

all the fuel lines and vac lines are all hooked up. I guess I could try with the gas cap off, but would that really be an issue from removing and reinstalling the fuel tank?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the key is retracing my steps, but what would be indicative of these symptoms? i know how to take these carbs apart, and im pretty damn sure i didnt leave anything out when i put them back together.

ugh

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the response rob.

this is what i got going on.

its was getting enough fuel to the point where it was spraying out the top of the intakes while running. I could spray starter fluid in the intake and the motor wouldn't change rpms at all. It was getting way to much fuel.

long story short, I took the bike apart and realized i flipped the number 3 and 4 jets, and had to swap them back. I also realized that when I adjusted the float bowls, I did it the wrong way, so that it was letting wayyyyy too much fuel get in the carbs. After I fixed that, I started it back up, which took forever, and went for a spin. The bike was still cutting out when I hit the gas, and by the time it hit 150 degrees, it wouldnt idle. It stays running longer if its not under load. SO

what I'm thinking, is maybe from me running the bike with the floats all messed up and the jets flipped, I could have fouled the plugs? I maybe went thru a 1/3 of a tank while adjusting and test driving, which is indicative of running very rich.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts