Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 zx6 sitting 7 years atleast....throttle and choke stuck

Ok, so my friend had this sitting many years. I know the gas is old and plugs could be fouled.

The throttle seems to be stuck and same with the choke. Could it sitting cause something to freeze up with the cables? When I try to move the choke I can hear something clicking at the carbs so maybe something is caught by the carbs area.

EDIT: ok so I took the tank and intake off. The throttle body seems stuck. When I try to manually rotate it, it barely moves. I can't imagine old gas sticking it that hard. I got my 6 inch ratchet extension and tried to push on it and nothing. I didn't want to go too crazy on it. What could be causing that?

2nd Edit: I used both hands on the throttle and it moved. I was able to open up and close the throttle. It's super tough though. Is there a way to determine if it is the cable, the grip, or the throttle body?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Old gas about turns into cement. Rip the carbs all the way off, clean them. That bike does not have throttle bodies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Masta Squidge is right, the old gas turns into a varnish that will gum up everything!! I know, my ZX11 went through the same thing a few years ago, and it's been sitting for a while now as well. Im in the process of cleaning them again and I promise it wont ever happen again!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok new problem maybe. Oiled the cables and so the it throttles open easy and closes. I ran the pump with a little bottle of new gas just to clean out the old, but didn't have it connected to the carbs. I put everything back together. I put in gear and hit the start so the fuel pump would pressurize. Then I cranked it up. It almost idles and sounds horrible. When I try to throttle up it dies asap. Then gas shot out the left front intake. There is that little tube in the middle of the intake and it came out from that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts