Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 ZX12. The previous owner claims he did not know it had a 2006 engine in it. The regulator/rectifier, stator, and battery will not work in cohesion. At first, the battery would not stay charged. I changed the stator and bought a new battery, but the battery had to be charged every night. I put it in the shop, now the regulator rectifier keeps overheating and the wires melt together. The 2001 ZX12 has a brown wire on the harness. Do I have to change the harness, or do I have to find a 5 pin regulator/rectifier? Needing help with this one. Thanks

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I can't seem to locate a 2006 wiring diagram for the ZX12. However I did find one for a ZX6. The 2001 zx12 has a 5 wire harness and the 2006 zx6 has a 4 wire harness. If the zx6 schematic is correct for the zx12 (both 06) the wiring is incompatible with the regulator. I would wager your on the right track with getting a regulator to correctly match the bikes harness. If I'm following that brown wire right, that's the 12v line to the battery. Without it the regulator keeps trying to charge the system so it's running non stop.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Brown wire to the regulator is a system voltage monitoring wire so if the regulator sees a difference between the Brown and White wires the regulator knows to kick out more power on the White wires.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Though the B3+ uses individual plugs to connect to the regulator, rather than the 3 into one plug.

·
Registered
zx12r zzr 1400 z750 08 hyabusa hornet 2x jawa bigcc chop
2 Posts
is it me but are all the front breaks crap on the zx12r

1 - 7 of 7 Posts